Trying to cycle small 2.5g freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some tap water sitting out so I can test it at 12 and 24 hours for pH and KH/GH however I haven’t really seen this issue of dropping pH until this week.

You are correct about the filter. It’s relatively small so it would have to be a very small bag of crushed coral to sit on it and allow water to flow through.

Cuttlebone fish is probably a more feasible choice. Since this tank would only hold a betta (and maybe a nerite snail in the future), just break up the cuttlebone and put very small piece in the substrate, and replace when dissolved?

Its not like a big piece will add more KH than a small piece. A big piece will just take longer to disolve than a smaller. I would just put as large a piece in as you can comfortably hide out of the way.

Makes sense, thanks.

My pH registered at 6.0 today and ammonia seems stuck at 2.0ppm after 22ish hours. Seems like the low pH stalled the cycle since i was processing 2ppm in 20-24 hours a day or two ago. I just did a 40% water change and will check the water parameters in an hour or two.

I was going to add a betta next week but maybe I should hold off due to these pH drops. I have cuttlefish bone and some alkaline buffer coming next week

I got my API GH and KH test kit today:

current tank readings
KH turns yellow immediately after 1 drop. Doesn't even turn blue so I'm assuming the KH is around 0ppm.
GH 5 drops, so 50-100ppm
pH: 6 or less. It dropped again from 7-7.2 (reading 8am yesterday)

Tap water:
KH 50ppm (3-4drops)
GH 50ppm (3-4drops)
pH 7.4

The cycle still seems strong, cycles 2-3ppm ammonia within 20-24 hours. I placed a small piece of cuttlefish bone in the substrate, slightly covered. Hopefully that will help bring the KH up and stabilize the pH.

Back
Top Bottom