Trying to decide on what to do with my 75 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with the 75 gal I'm getting ready to set up. I was thinking of getting an aggressive tank with barbs and other things. I thought with that I might be able to mix in some electric yellow cichlids. Also, I'd like to know what I could potentionally do with it brackish. With scats and maybe a dragon goby. What do all of you think?

I like to keep my tanks pretty natural. so I wouldn't mix Cichlids with Barbs. (thats just me.)

It would make a great barb tank though. how good would a school of 25 tiger barbs look in a tank like that!!! wow!

I would go brakish. Get scats, monos, silver shark catfish, maybe an archer. you would have to limit the number of fish to 5-10 total, becuase they all get rather large. none of these should be kept in pairs. either trios or more, or one. Losts of driftwood looks good, and plants,too. however, monos and scats devour plants, and the brakish water isnt good for most plants. My suggestion, use a mix or gravel/cc for substrate (pH 7.5-8.00. add some driftwood and plants (java fern/moss, vals, onion plant, amazon sword,etc) before the fish. use marine salt for a salinity of 1.003-1.010. These are big fish so i would use a big canister filter. i used powerheads and hob filter with it, too. Remember that these fish need some vegatable matter, through sprulina food or vegatables like zuchinni or others. the archer can be fed meaty foods, but i like to make them spit for circkets. HTH!!

generaly babs are not agresive they are only fin nippers! in other words the cichlids :twisted: would devour the the little fin nippers 8O NOT GOOD. :slurp:

I love the idea of a big marine tank, but I have two reasons for not doing that.

1. I am a senior in high school this year. I would hate to build up such a big, nice saltwater tank then go to college and not get to be around it. And have to worry about whether people at home are caring for it right.
2. I don't want to overshadow my current saltwater tank, so to speak. I've worked pretty hard on it and am still making improvements. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I am coming up with fish I would like if I go plain fw. Clown loaches, tiger barbs, a ropefish, a red tailed shark. Am I compatible so far? What else could go in?

yes all very compatible and it looks like you are going for an asian tank like ME! :D be shure to keep the tiger barbs in groups of 6-8 to minimize fin nipping. :D

at the moment I am getting a tank of barbs, rasboras, sharks, gouramies, and louches. feel free to use the ideas they are all compatible but remember to only have one shark. they fight amungst themselves. :D

Oh, yeah. Thanks, Rocket. I forget about that. Number three reason is I simply do not have the cash to do such a project.

Back
Top Bottom