Trying to keep nitrates in 10-20 range, but lev. not rising!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
Background: My tap water has phosphate in it which gives me algea problems. Using some phosphate absorbing resin helps to get rid of it, but keeping my nitrates high (10:1 or 20:1 ratio makes it better)

I have been trying to raise my nitrate levels up in the 10-20 range, but the reading just isn't moving! I haven't changed any water in my tank in probably 3 weeks!! 8O 8O 8O

I have a pretty good fish load and I feed them once a day. I guess my plants are using all the nitrates.

QUESTION: So, is it ok to leave my water as is, or should I change some out anyways? I am afraid that some other waste chemicals that we don't commonly test for are building up.

FYI...current nitrate level is 5-10.

A NO3 of 10 or more is great for the plants you have. Have you tried testing at different times during the week to see if there is any difference? Also, are you peforming PWC's?

Jchillin said:
Also, are you peforming PWC's?

I think you misread my post. I have done no PWCs in over 3 weeks in an attempt to bring my nitrates into the 10-20 range. However, the reading does not move. If I am in equilibrium with my plants, should I stop doing PWCs?

Seems bad to stop, as I am worried about other wastes building up that we don't test for.

I definitely mis-read that one :oops: Have no worries, there won't be any build up of nasties in the tank. As the detrius breaks down, it penetrates the substrate, which is great for root feeders especially. I try not to change water in my tank for the very same reason and unless I get some unusual readings for the big 5 (NH3, NO2, NO3, kh and ph), I will not change the water. I do freshen it up every now and then with top offs or if I'm planting, pruning.

I'm not real fond of leaving dirty water in the tank just to build up nitrates. If its a low light tank, then just dose some Flourish Nitrogen, or pick up a half pound of KNO3 and you'll be set for 6months.

DOC's build up in the water over time, regardless of whether nitrates are building up.

you macro ratios look good for keeping things in balance. you might even want to dose some Excel or just DIY CO2. Even if you only got to 10ppm, your plants would look better, and the algae would get stunted.

Back
Top Bottom