Trying to prove a point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfball98

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, my uncle has bought a 5 gal tank and currently has 9 male guppys and 2 Cory cats. I'm convinced its over stocked and he's just starting. I also think his gravel will injure the cory cats. Can you guys tell me what you think? There are some live plants in the tank too

It depends on the gravel. Smooth gravel is okay but sand is much preferred with them.

Yes I would definitely say 9 guppies in a 5g is overstocked. Also corydora need a school of 5+

Caleb

Poor water quality definitely will damage corys, more so than gravel but you are correct they prefer sand. They like to dig around in it to find food. And yes its overstocked in my opinion. What kind of filtration does he have? Even a 10g would be better. Some corys get kinda big also, do you know what kind they are?

It has stock filtration on the tetracycline starter kit he got. He says the corys are small ones, but doesn't know the name

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you, he still doesn't believe me but I'm sure he will when his fish die

Thank you, he still doesn't believe me but I'm sure he will when his fish die

Its hard when some one won't listen. My mother usually does the same to me and I'm 38 and have way way more education than she does, but what do I know? I'm still the child. Don't worry about it, you tried to tell him and that's the best you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I showed him a screenshot of your reply and he asked to see your marine biology degree, it's like talking to a brick wall

Yea, I showed him a screenshot of your reply and he asked to see your marine biology degree, it's like talking to a brick wall

Well I am almost done with my Master's degree but not in ichthyology. However my friend's husband has a Master's in fish and works for Marineland. LOL

Thank you for your help

Thank you very much for your help

I have a low tolerance for people who don't even TRY to do research before acquiring a living thing. I'm not always correct but I do try.

I've had my share now, it's not fun

As said before, if the gravel is smooth, the cories should be ok. Did he cycle the tank before adding fish? Does he realize that an overstocked tank needs more frequent water changes? If he does not care, then why did he get a tank?

Back
Top Bottom