trying to start new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i sold my 30 gallon hex tank and stand and filter for 100$ and I am saving up for a 55 to 100 gallon long tank. I was just wondering what kind of filter or filters i would need. I don't have alot of money to spend so i need to keep it as cheap as possible but i don't want junk. :roll:

Tess

If you go with a 55 or 75g tank, an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter will be fine. Or on any tank from 55g to 100g you could go with an Emporer 400.

If you want to spend a little more money for a very efficient filter that you don't have to change but one type of the media out, get a cannister filter. I just bought a Rena XP3 cannister for my new 55g and I love it. It was about $110 for the filter and bio-stars, but worth it all.

I think if you are in the 55-75 range that HOB filters like Aqua Clear are fine, however any bigger I would agree with FishyFanatic all the way and go canister. Aqua Clear is the only ones I have ever used and neve had a problem with tanks 75 and less. I just use filter floss in them now instead of carbon.

I have 2 Emperor 400's on my 55G, as I'm a little heavier stocked, and like the extra circulation on the other end of the tank. An XP3 is also another great filter as well.

The XP3 is 99.00
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22037;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

The Emperor 400's are 46.99 each
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22137;category_id=1721;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Don't get these at your LFS, you will pay a lot more. Even with shipping, it's far cheaper to order online. At the lfs here, the Emperor 400 is on the shelf for 129.99. What a rip off, lol.

Thanks for the replies I have to wait for my garage sale and see how much money i can make before I know what I can spend. My husband thinks this is a waste of money, He has no interest in it.

Thanks Tess

mom2reds said:
My husband thinks this is a waste of money, He has no interest in it.

Does he know my husband ??? Mine is FLIPPING because I just bought the stand for the 2 20Gallon Longs that HE found in the attic. I believe he just used the words "this is getting ridiculous" or something to that effect.

I'm hoping that with the new tanks in the living room that he'll become more interested.

Personally I think he's just jealous because lately I've had more "fish time" then "him time" LOL

Just remember, he probably has a few hobbies that you don't enjoy, and chances are they aren't cheap (Golf, Poker, NASCAR commemorative plates, etc.). You might want to point out that you are entitled to your own form of entertainment. :wink:

His hobby i guess is school he now has his RN, BSN, he just graduated with his Family Nurse Practicner (?sp) and now he is going to go to Med school. So i think my fish are pretty cheap.

Tess

mom2reds said:
His hobby i guess is school he now has his RN, BSN, he just graduated with his Family Nurse Practicner (?sp) and now he is going to go to Med school. So i think my fish are pretty cheap.

That is hysterical! :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh. :wink: I would definitely have to agree that your fish are looking pretty good right now compared to any one of those degrees!

Back
Top Bottom