Trying to work out what flow filter is needed for a 15 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannaby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi can anyone tell me what amount of flow is needed for a 15 gallon tank please.. ? Been looking at filters and can't decide which one to get.

Thanks

Tetra whisper. Are quiet and cheap. And work very well. It's a very common brand, you can find them at any pet store or even walmart.

I assume you need to know what turnover of water you need for the filter to work efficiently? 45 to 50 gallon per hoir should be fine. You can increase that but there will be little or no increase in efficiency.

What I usually hear is that you want a 10x turnover rate. So around 150gph for a 15g. Although you can almost never have too much filtration as long as the flow isn't too strong for fish to swim, it will depend on what kind of fish you have, if your tank is planted or not, and how heavily you are stocked.
The aquaclear 50 is 200gph. It's also a good idea to have higher filtration because if you ever decide to upgrade to a larger tank, you won't need to buy a new filter.
I have a 125gph filter on my 10g tank, and a 45gph filter on my 4g tank.

Back
Top Bottom