T's 20g freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princesst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanting to start a thread for my new 20g set up w/ future updates.

I am going out and (once again) taking advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon sale.

In my 20g I plan to put guppies and dwarf frogs together. For my algae eater, I know an Oto Catfish is ok with the ADF, but I'm wondering is there any other algae eaters compatible with ADFs?

Be sure to post pics. We love pics of of set ups on this forum.

:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah OP be warned, they often don't make it. They are usually wild caught if I'm remembering correctly. Some people do have good luck with them though

Brenna

Thanks guys! I just tested all levels in my 55gal, seems great!

pH 7.2
ammonia 0.25 (could be better, right?)
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

Since Otos don't seem to do well, what other algae eater would be safe?

I plan to get a 20gal long, as it's shorter in height for the ADF.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452555418.985613.jpg

here's our 55gal with the custom stand my boyfriend made. housing currently a red tailed shark and glass catfish.

If you want something to specifically eat algae then you will be disappointed with a pleco. I'm not really an expert on what does eat algae because I don't have much of it at all.

Brenna

Looks nice.

Anyway do you have an algae problem because there may be better solutions than an algae eater. Reducing light and nutrients in the water may help.

Brenna

in our 55gal that's fairly new there's no algae problems. if there's no algae problems I don't really need an algae eater then?

in our 55gal that's fairly new there's no algae problems. if there's no algae problems I don't really need an algae eater then?

Nope. And if you get an algae issue let us know and we can help you.

Brenna

another question regarding our 55g.

we have well water and haven't added dechlorinator at all, but our levels (as posted above) seem great. do I need to add it, at all?

another question regarding our 55g.

we have well water and haven't added dechlorinator at all, but our levels (as posted above) seem great. do I need to add it, at all?

Usually to my understanding it's only municipal water supplies that have chlorine or chloramines. So I would assume there's none in your water but some people do put bleach in their wells to make the water safe to drink. Just be sure no one has done that.

Are you using test strips of liquid kits. Liquid tests are best.

Brenna

Usually to my understanding it's only municipal water supplies that have chlorine or chloramines. So I would assume there's none in your water but some people do put bleach in their wells to make the water safe to drink. Just be sure no one has done that.

Are you using test strips of liquid kits. Liquid tests are best.

Brenna

we don't add anything to our well water. :)

we are using the API liquid test kit which is where I got our levels from.

Back
Top Bottom