Tubifex and other freeze-dried foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I can't find the post, but someone here recently (Grant, I think, but I could be wrong) mentioned freeze dried tubifex as a possible source of diseases.

I've never heard this before, and was wondering if anyone else has?

I gave up on live black worms years ago because of diseases I believe were caused by feeding them.

However, I thought freeze dried stuff was safe.

Anybody with additional info, or comments would be appreciated.

In addition to the freeze dried form of food, I'm wondering about the frozen variety, like frozen brine shrimp. I have used frozen brine shrimp in the past and wondered if I wasn't transferring something that was in the water with the brine shrimp to my tank.

I've never really worried about brine shrimp, either live or frozen, because they come from very salty water. In my opinion (again, I could be wrong) salty diseases can't infect a fresh water tank. However, brine shrimp dont inerest me too much, because they have almost no nutritional value.

they have almost no nutritional value.

Augh! I thought I was giving the fishies a little treat. They certainly go crazy when I drop a chunk of it in the tank.

Other than the flake food, what are good supplemental foods?

I tried the freeze dried brine shrimp but it just floats in the tank and the fish ignore it.

I posted the story about tubifex. They were the only new element introduced into the tank, and shortly after, some of my neons came down with Neon Tetra Disease, which has a larval form that lives specifcally in Tubifex worms. This disease is not specific to Neons - they were just the first fish to be identified with it. It can affect almost all tetras and cichlids. Since the worms were the only new factor, and they are known to harbor this disease, I am assuming they were the cause. I have heard of other creatures that can withstand dehydration. The only other way fish can get this disease is by eating or nipping a fish that already has it, or has died from it. Hope this helps. :roll:

Since the worms were the only new factor, and they are known to harbor this disease, I am assuming they were the cause. I have heard of other creatures that can withstand dehydration.

Not challenging you or anything, but, other than your experience, where did you hear this? Got any links, or can you refer me to a magazine article?

I'd really like more info because my fish love tubifex, and i don't want to stop feeding it without something solid to back it up.

Sorry for doubting you, just looking for more info.

CC

No problem. I always look for supporting info myself.

As much as I hate About.com and all the pop ups, it is good info- http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa092601a.htm

http://www.bluemoon.net/~tammy/profiles/ailments.html

http://www.aquavet.i12.com/Fish.htm - Look in the section under Endoparasites

There is no defenitive proof that the freeze dried cubes carry viable spores of this parasite, but after my experience, I am not going to risk it anymore. :? I should also mention that I have used freeze dried tubifex with tetras in the past with no ill effects.

Interesting reading there, thanks for the links.

However, I'm not going to stop feeding tubifex. I can easily see your reasoning, but the tanks i feed it in have no tetras, so I wont worry about it in my case. I may have to re-think this in the future, but I feel ok with it for now.

Thanks again,

CC

I've fed my fish (all types) freeze dried tubifex for years and have never had any trouble. I think this is a question that we should all investigate further though. If it is possible for the spores to survive in the freeze dried worms, it would certainly make me rethink the way I feed.
As for other things to feed the fish (mitch), freeze dried/frozen daphnia can be fed sparingly...not much or often. Frozen bloodworms and glassworms are also good. There's nothing wrong with feeding the brine shrimp as long as you realize that they don't provide much in the way of nutrition. Just don't make them a staple food for your fish. Freeze dried bloodworms are good too. You can feed things like small bits of shrimp, crushed green peas, ect... Even small bits of meat depending on what kind of fish you have.
Logan J

I am going to try to do some more research. I'll let y'all know what I find out. Hopefully I am dead wrong and I just brought spores in on the wind or by some other bizarre coincidence.

However, I'm not going to stop feeding tubifex.

Well we didn't stop feeding it, but we kept a close eye on where we put it. we actually stopped feeding the community fish because we got Angels. and A few months ago we had an outbreak of Malawi bloat in the Cichlid tank. Looked it up and tubifex worms were the cause.
we lost one female yellow Lab, and one female Acei, one female Red Zebra had it but survived. I read it kills in threes.
I never knew it killed Tetras just Cichlids.
Chris.

corvuscorax said:
I can't find the post, but someone here recently (Grant, I think, but I could be wrong)

Corvus, wasn't me mate, I think jasonit may have been the one as it was affecting his neons I think .. ?

My fish also love tubifex and it hasn't seemed to cause any problem yet as such, fingers crossed.

Mine get it once a week, usually on a Saturday. It's definitely one of the most popular foods along with Frozen Red Mosquito Larvae - that is probably the overall favourite. :mrgreen:

hi guys...

I saw some comments on this thread about frozen brine shrimp that made me want to jump in...
....wondered if I wasn't transferring something that was in the water with the brine shrimp to my tank.
.... brine shrimp dont interest me too much, because they have almost no nutritional value.
I use Hikari frozen Brine Shrimp and frozen Blood Worms, my fish love it.

Look for them at your LFS... Key Benefits:
- 3 Step Sterilization process
- Free of harmful bacteria
- Free of harmful parasites
- Bio-Encapsulated With Multi-Vitamins
- Provides maximum nutrition for your fish
- Retains natural color
- Retains natural shape
- Retains nutritional benefits

No, I do not own shares in this company. I just wanted to point out that YES, brine shrimp may be 99% water with no nutritional value but you can also purchase brine shrimp with multivitamins.

mitche8359 said:
Frozen Red Mosquito Larvae

Is that readily available? I don't recall seeing it in the freezer where the frozen brine is kept.

Yep, well it is at my LFS anyway and comes in large, frozen red cubes. Is also quite cheap. Just simply drop in tank and away you go. The fish are mad for the stuff !

I use the Hikari frozen Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms also. Good results. My Lima Shovel-Nosed Cat is a Blood Worm addict.

Back
Top Bottom