Tuesday - Bringin My Pleco Home!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I'm ready to take the plunge and bring my Sailfin Pleco home to my 75 gallon tank. While I'm very excited to have him home where I can see him everyday, I'm very worried that I'll lose him in the process. I guess this is partly the reason why I've been putting it off.

I have a few questions (I know... what else is new?) before I make this move. I have a Styrofoam cooler which will be used to transport him in. Is it necessary to cut holes on the top of it? I figured fish do ok in a tied bag, so I'm not sure if it would be the same thing with a cooler. Also, will I need to worry about the temperature fluctuating? Again, I know that most fish do ok in bags so I'm not sure if it'll be just as safe with a cooler.

To capture him initially I plan on lifting the rock formation that he clings to and either waiting for him to let go or I'll put the whole rock in the cooler to bring him home. If I can catch him lose I have a large pitcher which I can use. I will repeat these steps to put him into his new home after I slowly acclimate him using the drip method. Since he'll be in the cooler while being acclimated will I again have to worry about the temperature changing or should I put a heater in there until he's ready? Being in a cooler it will take longer than the other fish I've done this with.

Lastly, please wish me good luck!! I'm going to be absolutely devastated if I lose him. :(

How long is the trip going to be? If you keep the temp up in the vehicle, you shouldn't have much to worry about temp-wise. Then, when re-acclimating at the destination, you could always stick a heater in if there is a difference in temp, and let the heater bring it up the few degrees while you are acclimating him. Also, I don't think you need holes in the top, unless it's a really long drive. Could also place the top on so it's not completely secure, with a small gap along one edge. And if worried about him getting out or removing the top, could keep it in place with tape. Just a couple ideas that might help.

The only other recommendation is a battery-operated air pump with an airstone. That will take care of the O2 issue.

The trip home will only be about 15 minutes (all highway) depending on the traffic. There there will also be the additional acclimation time. I leave work early on Tuesday's which is why Tuesday will be the day. I leave at 1pm which gives me all afternoon to acclimate/watch him. :)

Only 15 minutes, then you won't have to worry about a heater. The cooler is insulated, and will keep the temp fine for much longer than that. So no worries there. Just proper acclimation when you get home and you will be set. But even that short of a drive, would recommend a bubbler. Or if you had a passenger with you, or the cooler is in the front seat, could dip a cup in there and take some water and dump it back in a couple times during the travel will do the same thing.

Since the trip time is 15 minutes, you really don't need the cooler unless you absolutely want to. When you try to lift the rock out of the tank, he is going to let go of it anyway. Be prepared with a container to get him out. I use a net with very very small holes. Sort of like a brine shrimp net. The fins can not get stuck and they are unharmed.

I wouldn't be worried unless he was already sick. Just recently I made a two hour trip with Cherry Barbs and Otos in a cooler. They did just fine (two died a week later from unrelated problems).

you could probably leave him in a baggie and drive him, given you use your airrator to fill extra air in the bag, (not to much air, the pressure could hurt him). the only problem i that my arise, is him sucking on the syrofoam and actually managing to get a tiny chunk off, (you know how you can crunch styrofoam, and get hundreds of those littles peices) unless your putting him in a baggie, inside a cooler

burks, your from toledo too?

When you try to lift the rock out of the tank, he is going to let go of it anyway
Thats not the case with my bristlenose. I was taking my piece of driftwood out of the tank one day and waved my hand behind it to scare off any loaches, ottos, and the bristlenose. I didn't check to make sure he was in the tank and not on the DW though. I took the wood out and layed it on a towel. Right before I layed it down, my BN let go and fell on the carpet. I quickly got him back in the tank. He survived and now I make sure he is off. I have to literally scoot him off the wood with my hand before he'll let go.

If your pleco won't let go, just take the whole rock, like you said. Just make sure he doesn't let go before you put it in the cooler.

I think he'll be fine for that short of a ride. Probably won't even need a bubbler for only 15mins. If you think traffic will be bad, I'd take one just in case the ride is longer, but its probably not needed.

Good luck!

The airstone/bubbler won't be necessary, and wouldn't even if the trip was hours long. Have you ever tried to walk with a cooler full of water? No matter how steady you try to hold it the water sloshes all over the place. The same will be true in your car/truck. I made a 10 hour drive with a half full 10 gallon in the floorboard of my truck, the water will move around plenty.

The only advice I could give (different from what you plan on doing) is that if you have a real cooler instead of a styrofoam one to use it. Styrofoam ones are great for holding beer at a barbeque, but I'd be afraid that it would break under the weight of a few gallons of water.

few gallons of water, how much does a pleco need for 15 mins, i'd be more afraid of the pleco getting cancer from the styrofoam

hc8719 said:
you could probably leave him in a baggie and drive him, given you use your airrator to fill extra air in the bag, (not to much air, the pressure could hurt him).
My Pleco is about 7.5" long so I don't even want to attempt sticking him into a bag! If he were still a little baby it would be no big deal, but he's pretty big right now. :)

Thanks for the input guys. Tomorrow is supposed to be a hot and humid day so the water temperature dropping isn't really going to be an issue I don't think. Luckily once we get home, he'll be going right down into the basement where it's cooler. I'll put a thermometer in the cooler right away so I can get a feel for if he'll need a heater or not. I'm going to pass on using an airstone because as someone mentioned the bumps in the road will be enough (I think) to stir it up for the short road trip.

I'm excited at the thought of seeing him in his new home, but I'm still incredibly nervous about this. It's kind of funny that a fish is stressing me out so much!

Mine is that size. I bought a huge black net with tiny little holes. Piece of cake.

Mine really didn't fight me once he was in the net. Good luck.

GouramiFanatic said:
hc8719 said:
I'm excited at the thought of seeing him in his new home, but I'm still incredibly nervous about this. It's kind of funny that a fish is stressing me out so much!

hahhahahahaha I think we can ALL relate to this sentiment!

Good luck. I'm sure all will go well. You seem like a wonderful parent. :D

Well, I'm home with 'Count' and he's now in the 'acclimation' part of the move. He's been acclimating for about 20 minutes now and so far he seems to be doing pretty good. I've attached a photo of him in his tempory home (the cooler).

He was surprisingly easy to catch. I lifted the rock that he likes to cling to, but he didn't start to let go until he himself was starting to come out of the water. Even then he held on for as long as he possibly could. I took it out slowly so it wasn't a complete shock for him. Once he was off the rock he swam down towards the far corner and sat there. I put the pitcher in front of him and stirred up the water with my hands and he swam directly into it. It took about 5 minutes to catch him which is a LOT better than I ever imagined. I thought for sure it would take about 15-20 minutes. :)

I'll continue to post updates of our progress!

EDIT: Got a wierd message about reaching my upload limit so I couldn't attach my photo in this thread. Here's a link to the photo I mentioned above. :) http://www.whalesightings.com/sp062706a.jpg

Well, a few hours after starting his acclimation, I've released Count to his new home. Once the water levels (Ph) matched the tank water I scooped him out with a large pitcher and hung it inside the tank to get the temps a little bit closer. Once it was pretty even I tipped the pitcher and waited for a couple of minutes for him to make his move. He slid out and fell to the bottom where he landed one of the plants. He sat there for a good 15 minutes before finally moving. He's checked out a couple of areas on the right side of the tank to see if they'd make good resting spots, but so far he hasn't seemed to have found 'the' spot. He's moving around a little bit so I'm feeling pretty good about this. Although, I'll feel much better seeing he's still alive tomorrow morning!!!

Here are a couple more pictures.
http://www.whalesightings.com/fish/sp062706b.jpg
http://www.whalesightings.com/fish/sp062706c.jpg

beautiful fish.
and good job. and i hope you all the best.
i had to move mine about the same distant he was about 6 inches.
we didnt go through such measures as you did. but he is well and loving life.
so i hope yours does better because of your attempts. goodluck

Back
Top Bottom