Turn this into a more natural looking aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use root tabs and be fine. But that amount will add up. Plus with sand you should use liquid ferts. The eco complete is probably the best choice and is $18 on petcos website. I bought it from them when it was $15 a bag. You could be patient and wait awhile for it. Or pay an extra $6 for convenience. I would go eco complete unless you are on a very strict budget. I personally have black eco complete and love it. My plants grow too fast!

Well I don't have a regular income and only have about $60 right now and I'd like to have 2-3 inches of sub and that would require more than 20 lbs so that'd be $40 just for substrate! I might wait till I get more money.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative flora-max is basically Eco complete (same company too) but without the bacteria water. My 20 long has a mix of red flora max and black Eco complete and it looks very nice. :)

How much cheaper is flora-max? Would the bacteria water really do anything in my case since I already have filter media with bac built up? Thanks for telling me about this!

Here's some old pics of two of my tanks. One with PFS, one with regular gravel. Just to give you an idea.

One of these days I'll get current pics, ugh.

Attachments

• img_6321.jpg
    img_6321.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 102
  • img_6709.jpg
    img_6709.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 124
Here's some old pics of two of my tanks. One with PFS, one with regular gravel. Just to give you an idea.

One of these days I'll get current pics, ugh.

WOW! Amazing tanks! I like the look of natural colored gravel but something about the black sand just draws me in. Thanks for those pics!

I think I'm probably going to wait until I get some more money and buy the EcoComplete.

I think I'm probably going to wait until I get some more money and buy the EcoComplete.

You might be able to get away with one bag. I have a 20g long and I think it has a slightly bigger footprint. I used two bags and it was plenty. Just a thought.

You might be able to get away with one bag. I have a 20g long and I think it has a slightly bigger footprint. I used two bags and it was plenty. Just a thought.

Well I'd like a 2-3 inch layer. I'll think about it. Thanks!

for reference here is my brand new setup with Black Diamond blasting sand. 2 50lb bags ($15ish) and it gave me 4" coverage and more in certain areas (back right is very deep). Malaysian DW and I spray painted the back of tank black. Its a 40g breeder. This is only day 9 of the tank so the plants have not grown in.
79324-albums12911-picture61579.jpg

for reference here is my brand new setup with Black Diamond blasting sand. 2 50lb bags ($15ish) and it gave me 4" coverage and more in certain areas (back right is very deep). Malaysian DW and I spray painted the back of tank black. Its a 40g breeder. This is only day 9 of the tank so the plants have not grown in.

I love your driftwood

very nice, I like it

Thanks, very nice!

I've decided on getting 2 bags of EcoComplete, Malyasian DW, and either a solid black or dark blur background. I'm definitely going with live plants but still undecided on what kinds and how many. I might change my light to support bigger plants. Any advice?

Thanks!

I've decided on getting 2 bags of EcoComplete, Malyasian DW, and either a solid black or dark blur background. I'm definitely going with live plants but still undecided on what kinds and how many. I might change my light to support bigger plants. Any advice?

Thanks!

My plant suggestions would be jungle val. Amazon sword. For rooted plants. And anubis or java moss for your dw. Good luck! Can't wait to see if its done.

My plant suggestions would be jungle val. Amazon sword. For rooted plants. And anubis or java moss for your dw. Good luck! Can't wait to see if its done.

I had also seen some little grass things, some kind of dwarf grass I think. Would that be good?

I tried it and you need a high light tank with co2 injections. Mine died in two weeks

I tried it and you need a high light tank with co2 injections. Mine died in two weeks

Hmm. I'd be fine with getting a bigger light but I'm not gonna do the CO2 injection. Is liquid CO2 the same as the injection?

I dunno if you like this.. but my tank has blue rocks... although I wish I could change them to black... I've had this blue for like 14 years lol..

But here is my 27g tank

img_2660164_0_458ce0b673a7c053de7e87f0638d6a76.jpg

EcoComplete and FloraMax are only crushed lava rock. The reason people use it for plants is because of how porous it is. It doesn't have any fertilizers in it as far as I know. When you add ferts to the tank (either through the water or the substrate) it eventually makes it a little easier for the plants to access the ferts because it can kinda 'hold' the ferts in the substrate. But honestly you would be just fine with black blasting sand. Or if you want, you could get Miracle Grow ORGANIC Potting MIX and cap it with a layer of sand. Cheap and good for the plants. Just a thought.

Eco Complete is $20~ for 20lbs - free shipping with certain amount $$ of purchase on certain sites like Petco and Amazon. No rinsing which is great!

Back
Top Bottom