Turning a 10 galón into a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey i want to turn my regular 10 gallon tank to a QT but im not sure how to do it. Should i put the water into buckets, take out all the gravel and put the water back in? Or should i take te gravel out with the water inside ?? Any advise would be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Usually quarantine/hospital tanks are pretty bare bones. I don't have any substrate in mine so that I can monitor how much poop there is (plus easier to keep clean). Good digestion is a decent indicator of good health, generally speaking.
I just have some PVC pipe for hiding spots, a heater and a filter. Easy to breakdown and clean when not in use.

Usually quarantine/hospital tanks are pretty bare bones. I don't have any substrate in mine so that I can monitor how much poop there is (plus easier to keep clean). Good digestion is a decent indicator of good health, generally speaking.
I just have some PVC pipe for hiding spots, a heater and a filter. Easy to breakdown and clean when not in use.

+1 here.

Also, a QT only needs to be up and running when you plan to get new fish. Keeping a sponge filter running in the DT is easiest and simplest plan. Fill the QT with new treated water and drop in the sponge. All set. PVC for hiding areas is also good as Coyne pointed out.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

My tanks already set up. But it has gravel and everything like a normal tank. I have a pair of guppies in it. I want to take the gravel out so i can moniter them poop. I want to know how i should take the gravel out and plus i want to Save the water cause i need to put the fish back in

My tanks already set up. But it has gravel and everything like a normal tank. I have a pair of guppies in it. I want to take the gravel out so i can moniter them poop. I want to know how i should take the gravel out and plus i want to Save the water cause i need to put the fish back in

Saving the water is really only good for temperature matching. If you can put treated tap water back in at approximately the same temperature it will do the same thing. There is next to no beneficial bacteria in the water column it is all in the filter media and substrate. If you want to re cycle the tank, don't let the filter media dry out, drain fish into a bucket, pull all gravel out. Once out rinse tank and fill with de chlorinated water. Plug heater in, plug filter in and make sure temperature is at desired temp. Go ahead and re introduce the fish. If your extra concerned fill a panty hoe with the old media and let it float

So i should take out all the water but i shouldnt touch my filter since all the beneficial bacteria is right? Its a marina Slim s15
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424018763.217128.jpg

Correct. Media, and filter should stay wet

Back
Top Bottom