Turning freshwater tank into brackish water HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well since last time I posted on here I was just getting into fish keeping and only had one tank, this was less that prob 6-8 months ago or even less. Well during the time of my fish keeping I've learned a lot about fish and fish keeping and tricks and things of that sort. Now several months later I know have 4 fish tanks 3 which are freshwater and 1 that is saltwater. I have had nothing but great success with all my tanks during the months and have now even some brackish fish like Rainbow fish and a very nice and fat Green Spotted puffer.. I have had them all now for a little over 2 months now I would say kept in a solid freshwater tanks that I have with just basic aquarium. What I am wanting to know now is I'm wanting to turn one of my tanks into a BRACKISH tank, the tank is fully cycled with nice green alge and has nothing else in now except the green spotted puffer b/c I moved the fish into another tank b/c he's now getting where he likes to nip other fishes fins. The tank I have him in is just purly freshwater with basic aquarium salt and I want to turn it brackish so the green spotted puffer will start to turn into his normal color. But what I need to know is, with the BASIC AQUARIUM SALT in the water will I have to completely start the tank over then at the INSTANT OCEAN salt or would it be fine to mix the 2 together?

You can leave the current aquarium salt in there, and continue increasing the salinity with the Instant Ocean, but increase very slowly.....over 8 weeks or so.

awesome, what can I put in there with it that'll keep the aege down since a pleco can't really be in salt that I'm aware, I have one in there now and I have green alge growing all up on the glass and my white rocks are about 80% green now lol. What would be a good brackish agle eater if any?

I have a brackish tank and I clean the algea myself. My bb gobies, flounder and Celebes have no interest in helping to keep the algae down :roll:

Do not raise the SG more than .002/weekly water changes, or your bacteria bed will crash.

What should be the specific gravity be in the tank and how long do you expect it will tank to reach it with adding that amount of salt weekly? I heard for the puffers it should be a little be more than recommend for reg' brackish tanks of like .010-15?

Another quick question, do I really even need to add salt to the tank? Will he live longer with the salt or does it not matter? I'm just trying to do what's best and easiest for him... He's been adapted to freshwater every since I got him and where I got him from they kept him in freshwater tanks also.

Back
Top Bottom