turning off bubbler, how much surface agitation should there be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, so in another thread I asked about if bubblers are necessary and the responses said yes if you have surface agitation.

so how much surface agitation is necessary? in my 10G (Betta tank) I have a fluval u(?) internal filter with the deflector turned up to surface and there is a gentle ripple on the surface. Is this enough surface agitation?

my 36G has a fluval 206, the outlet nozzel is about 3 inches under the water point pretty much horizontal across the tank. how much surface agitation would I need for it? I do notice when I drop flakes in they swirl around the surface. I have an airstone with some air going to the top, would this be enough or can I stop it altogether?

I was just about to ask the same question. In fact, I was searching for the answer and noticed that this question was asked today. I have the same 206 as well as a Aqueon 55/75. I've just noticed that the only thing in my tank that really makes any noise is the air pump so I'd love to turn that off.

Too bad there isn't a good way to measure how much O2 is in the water and have a target to shoot for.

I wouldn't take the risk as it's hard to know if the fish is having a hard time breathing while you're sleeping. I suggest keeping the bubbler on, or modifying it to make it stop the noise(safely) or even getting a silent bubble. There are tons of those on the market!

if you have surface movement, you should be fine without an air pump, ive never used an air pump in any of my tanks and my fish are never at the surface gasping for air. Most consider an air pump simply for decoration.

however if you are overstocked then you may start to see fish at the surface, if you see this then simply add the air pump back, your fish will not die over night, and i doubt anyways you are overstocked enough for that to happen

and with the betta tank its not needed anyways since bettas breath from the surface

oh and for the 36 gallon with the fluval just try to point the out take more towards the surface if possible, if not i still think you will be fine if you notice the food moving around then there is surface movement

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I don't believe I'm overstocked. a 36g bowfront with 4 guppy, 4 cory cats, 2 Gourami and 8 neon tetra. I have a broken pot decoration with an air stone in it which I may keep as it gives a hiding place if the little guys feel freaked.

yeah sounds fine to me, i would just try to point the output for your canister more to the surface and you'd be good to go

No need for a bubbler. Many members here with large to very large tanks with no bubbler. As long as your doing a decent water change(30-50%) weekly, there will be sufficient oxygen in the water.... I use airstones for my 55 but only for décor....

A bubbler isn't needed. In my Betta tanks I use a sponge filter but before that I had HOB filters that I had baffled because Bettas prefer less water movement. So long as the surface of the water is moved there's plenty of oxygen. I also have a 46g bow front with a Fluval 306, I have the output slightly above the water line so it's more of a cascade & the fish are good, my bottom dwellers never act stressed & are never at the surface.

I am new to the hobby so I am replying for my own education as well. Several times in this thread folks mention the bubbler with regard to being worried there is enough oxygen in the water. Research I have done has all said bubblers just agitate the surface but don't add oxygen to the water. Only oxygen added to your tank comes from the surface area and water changes due to force of new water pouring in causing air pockets. Is this true?

I am new to the hobby so I am replying for my own education as well. Several times in this thread folks mention the bubbler with regard to being worried there is enough oxygen in the water. Research I have done has all said bubblers just agitate the surface but don't add oxygen to the water. Only oxygen added to your tank comes from the surface area and water changes due to force of new water pouring in causing air pockets. Is this true?
In part. The bubbler creates a reaction at the surface, much like you're lungs. When that bubble released by the bubbler pops, it releases CO2, and introduces oxygen. That's surface agitation. If you want to try, you can get a calculator, but it's very complicated.

Thanks fishanatic...your answer provides all I need to know LOL. Think I will leave the calculator alone. :). At least I understand better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom