Turquoise danios???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was flipping through liveaquaria.com and saw some turquoise danios.

Here is the link: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=948

I decided these would be the perfect fish for my Asian biotope tank, as I need some blue coloring in there. However, I've never heard of them before, and went I went to do a search for them on Google, the only relavent site that came up was liveaquaria.

Do these fish have another name? Or are they "exclusive" to Foster and Smith? (ughh, that would suck, because I don't want to get any fish through the mail when it is this cold out.) Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they as hardy as zeba danios?

EDIT: Umm, never mind, maybe I should have actually read the description more carefully. They are called blue danios. :oops: I guess the rest of my questions still stand. I've never seen or heard of them before, though.

Thanks so much if you are able to help.

Catalina...

The Blue (Turquoise) danio, Brachydanio kerri, is a relative of the Zebra Danio, Brachydanio rerio. It comes from Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi Islands, Thailand. It is said to be peaceful and active and like its cousin B. rerio prefers to be kept in a group.

I've only seen them offered for sale in a pet shop once and that was MANY years ago. I kick myself for not getting some then. Like the Zebra Danio, they are easy-to-spawn egglayers. Water conditions are not critical as long as the water is clean and well-aerated. The ones I saw back in the 'old days' were absolutely gorgeous but I was concentrating on African river fish at the time and had no place to put them.

thanks for the info. and yes, i've never seen them before. i doubt i'm going to be able to find them at an LFS. i wonder why this is? so frustrating!

saw an old post of yours, noticed you live in Garland.

don't know if you're still interested, but I bought long finned blue danios yesterday at LFS here in Austin.

Petsmart - South Austin store - 5400 Brodie Lane, 512 892-3297.

Guess what....they were 69cents each!!!!

Magicfish

In my lfs, they have some Blue Danios mixed with the real Zebra Danios, but they just called them Zebra Danios.

I got some Blue Danios in my tank, they are blue-sliver color.

They are very beautiful fish

Catalina, try House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie. They had another species of danio...I think it was blue. Call them first, I'm not sure how close Glen Burnie is to DC.

Turqoise danio

Hi...not sure is this is old by now, but, I just received 6 of these danios today from liveaquaria.com. Unless it's my lighting, the blue color is very faint. However, they are probably juveniles or young. They school nicely and swim great. This is my second shipment of fish from them and I am extremely happy. Frank

Re: Turqoise danio

steelhealr said:
Unless it's my lighting, the blue color is very faint. However, they are probably juveniles or young. - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi. Give them a few days to get acclimated to your water, to get some of that high-quality food you are going to feed them and to get comfortable in their new surroundings. Also, this is the type of coloring where the type of bulb you use in your reflector can make all the difference in the world. Good luck with them and let's see some great pics, soon! - Frank/Guppyman®

Blue Danios not so blue

I just got three of these gorgeous Blue Danios (or Turquoise Danios) from my local aquarium shop a few days ago. They looked so cool in the store, and the sales guy said they would surely school right along with my other danios.
Now, I'm not saying they aren't cool little fish, but dang when I got them home in my own tank, they don't look blue at all, and they sure don't want anything to do with the other Danios!
So... any thoughts on specifically what kind of lighting would make these fellas look cool blue again?
My 75 gallon tank has a Marineland LED light, 468 lumens, 7800K.

I just got three of these gorgeous Blue Danios (or Turquoise Danios) from my local aquarium shop a few days ago. They looked so cool in the store, and the sales guy said they would surely school right along with my other danios.
Now, I'm not saying they aren't cool little fish, but dang when I got them home in my own tank, they don't look blue at all, and they sure don't want anything to do with the other Danios!
So... any thoughts on specifically what kind of lighting would make these fellas look cool blue again?
My 75 gallon tank has a Marineland LED light, 468 lumens, 7800K.

I would think they just haven't settled in and therefore haven't colored up. I've had many fish take a few days to get really good color back. Maybe your water prarmeters are really out of whack for those specific danios? Do you have a model number for the light?

Thanks! I hope you're right and they regain some of their amazing color once they get acclimated to their new world. Just weird that they went from being so brilliant blue in the store, and so grey by the time I got them home. My light is a Marineland model #ML90614-900. The pH is a little high, 7.6 or so, but NH3/NH4 is 0, NO2 and NO3 are 0.

Back
Top Bottom