Twig catfish (anybody have?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at my local fish store and saw these. I have never seen these before or heard of them. Are they a very common fish? Are they a very easy fish and get along with most in a tropical community tank? How many should be in a group? Thanks to anyone with info.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 of these! I have kept them with guppies,cories, and angelfish! I only keep one in a tank, but you could probably do a few together. They are pretty docile! I had one in my planted tank and it seemed to keep the driftwood clean by eating some alge off! I feed mine shrimp pellets. Make sure you have a lid mine sucked up the side and almost fell out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 75 gallon tank with full lid. I have zebra danios, cory catfish, bossemani rainbowfish, dalmation molly, and 1 angelfish. I feed them all flakes and dried bloodworms as well as sinking tablets specifically for bottom feeders like cory catfish

I was at my local fish store and saw these. I have never seen these before or heard of them. Are they a very common fish? Are they a very easy fish and get along with most in a tropical community tank? How many should be in a group? Thanks to anyone with info.

I have one. They're called farlowella. They're not too common, for the most part. They can be a bit difficult to keep. You definitely want a fully cycled and well established tank prior to getting one as they can be more sensitive to changing water parameters. Also, try to avoid housing them with other types of algae eaters unless you have plenty of space; they typically will not compete for food and will end up starving themselves. They are safe to be housed with similar sized farlowella though, just again don't overdo it for the same reasons as before. I wouldn't put more than 3, maybe 4, in a 75g and that'd be pushing it since they do get long. You really don't need more than one though as they're solitary fish. They're safe with community fish, just make sure your community fish are safe with them.

If you can get them to survived beyond the first month and thrive, they're great little fish to watch. They blend in to driftwood wonderfully and can give you an aquarium version of “where's waldo”. We love our Twiggy :)

If you get good healthy stock these are great fish to keep. Have driftwood for them to munch on and mine love veggies (zucchini, cucumber).
Just an FYI, they poo like crazy so you're going to want to stay on top of water changes and if you have a light sand substrate like I do it will drive you nuts ;)

These fish are really cool but I would not say they are for beginners. I've tried them multiple times with only to have them die within a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom