Two male gouramis in 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello.

My (new) male gouramis are in a 10 gal together, and they seem fine. I've had them for about 2 weeks and haven't seen them being aggressive, but recently a fish store told me it's a "VERY bad idea" to put males together..... is this true, and should i be worried?

My fish store gave me the same advice.. but if they are homed and seem ok together, you might be ok. maybe you've struck a balance. Do they have territory they can 'own', such a couple of privacy areas?

I'm assuming dwarf gourami.

Gourami are closely related to bettas, and the territorial aggression is a trait they share, albeit to a lesser degree.

If there are breaks in the line of sight and they each have hiding places, they will be okay for now. 10 gallons is too small for the long term, though.

What kind of gouramis? If Honey Dwarf, likely peaceful. If Dwarf gouramis... maybe. It really depends on the individual fish. If they're fine right now, they may stay that way, but I'd watch for signs of aggression.

the only gouramis ive had that fought eachother in the same tank were my three-spot gouramis. every other kind i had didnt ever fight.

If they are dwarf gourami then I would be careful if they are honey gourami then it is ok

My experience is one male will dominate the other. I had 2 males and the dominant one fought for food and the other never got to an adult male size and died. They were dwarf honey gouramis. I currently have a single male dwarf gourami and he seems happy as a clam. I wouldn't have 2 males again.

Back
Top Bottom