two Qs on ordering lobster and shriimps from Dr F&S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all-

I have a 55 gal long community tank currently housing 1 angel, 3 rainbows, 2 CAEs, 5 lemon and 2 neon tetras.

I'd like to add a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster and some amano shrimps. Since they're both hard to find I'm considering buying from Dr F&S. I've bought equipments from them but never fish, and wondered how their price, shipping, etc. are compare to others.

Also, I want Amanos to clean up algaes, how many do I need? Any other advices/comments are also welcomed!

Thanks!!!

The blue lobster will most certainly kill and eat the amano shrimp. It will also try to catch the fish. Unfortunately, lobsters (crayfish) don't work out well in community tanks.

I never used Dr F&S, so sorry I can't help you there. I'm lucky to have three humongous lfs nearby.

I agree with the above. if it has claws, it tries to catch your fish..

as for Drs. F&S. I had someone order 3 phosban reactors on Dec 26th, the order was lost 3 times, then when they finally shipped it took a week to get there... You may have better luck, but call them to confirm they got your order, even if you get a reply Email. he got 3 of them and only with the third did they ship. (also hitting him up for 10$ shipping, when the original order was supposed to be free shipping.) Personally, I won't deal with them again.

I've never ordered fish, etc from Drs. F&S, but have ordered other supplies through them, and have had nothing but great service with them. I use them and Big Al's for all my ordering, whoever has the better deal including shipping. :)

Have you looked at petshrimp.com? Though I suspect the angel may eat any shrimp you put in the tank. Even if they are too big to be swallowed whole, they are easy targets when they molt. It takes time for the new shell to harden, and can easily be picked apart. Sooner or later the angel will eat the neons too. If you want something to clean up algae, get a bristlenose pleco. They max out at about 4", and will keep your tank clear of algae.

I"ve had good luck with azgardens www.azgardens.com and they have a great variety of shrimp.

they ship overnight fedex so you really need to get on teh phone with them and get them to estimate your actual shipping cost. If you are near arizona it can be fine.. If you are too far away.. it can add up fast

This is from Dr F&S's article:

"The Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobsters are generally peaceful. They typically will not bother top and mid level swimmers, but exercise caution when keeping them with bottom dwellers such as loaches and catfish."

That's what prompted me to want one.... I guess I'll take my chance on Blue Lobser and not the amanos.

As to my angel and neons, I think because the tank has plenty of room, the 2 neons somehow survived. But yeah, their other 28 cousins weren't as lucky...

sherry said:
I"ve had good luck with azgardens www.azgardens.com and they have a great variety of shrimp.

Wow! I just saw this on azgardens, they have it on sale!

Cherax Blue Lobster

Cherax quadricarinatus "Blue"

a.k.a. Blue Yabbie Lobster, Red-Claw "Blue" Crayfish,

I think I'm gonna get a couple!!!

Thanks much!!!

years ago when I was a wee lad ( i'm only 21 ) I caught a huge crayfish and put it in an old tank I had, I decided to put some fish in there and it caught a couple, killed them obviously, As far as I know DR. F+S has good prices and shipping, I don't really look at people who sell fish over the internet that much

Back
Top Bottom