Two Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
My first question is about my bubble wand. Ever since I got it yesterday it's been making a lot of bubbles at the top of my tank and they won't go away. I turn off the airpump and the bubbles soon disappear. What could be causing this? I've checked for pollutants but still can't figure out why this keeps happening.

My second question is the more important of the two. My Black Ghost Knife Fish is acting really funny. He was fine when I first got him but he just started to stay in one place and just lays on his side. My Plecostomus and Rainbow Shark have taken over his hiding spot. Could this be why he is acting weird? Is he sick? I'm going to the LFS and am going to ask them tomorrow morning, if he makes it.

I'm about to do that. I'm going to run off and get a new test kit and other items and see if that helps. I'll post the results of my tests, hopefully that'll help to figure out my situation. I'll let you know if the new tubing for my BGK helps with him as well.

Here are the levels after I tested my water:

Nitrate - 20 ppm
Nitrite - .5 ppm
Hardness - 150 ppm
Alkalinity - 80 ppm
pH - 8.4

I just completed a 45% water change and the foaming at the top has decreased a little. My BGK still looks to be in bad shape, but I can't really tell if it's just laying there or if it is sick. It'll swim from time to time. Tomorrow morning I'm taking a cup of my water to be tested at the LFS and I'll probably do another 25% water change, as well as add some more water conditioner. Would any of that help out my tank and my BGK?

I'm just about to get up and head out the the LFS. I'm going to have them test my water, but I'll ask for the results and I'll write them all down again here. Including ammonia.

My BGK is still acting strange, he seems to be a little bit more active this morning than he was last night but he is supposed to be notcurnal.

Okay so here are my new readings:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Hardness - 120 ppm
Alkalinity - 120 ppm
pH - 6.8 ppm

My Black Ghost Knife is much more active this morning. I think that moving into a new tank, getting new tankmates, and going through the cycle are just really stressing him out. I'm going to see if a friend can take him for a few days, just until the cycle ends in the tank.

The foam on the surface of the water isn't harmful to the fish (I had that tested as well). It'll probably go away within the next two weeks and stay away. Thanks missleman and FastFly67 for the help. I'll be sure to come back if anymore problems arise.

Cycling with fish will be a several week process... make sure you know what you're getting in to (daily PWCs).

Also, get a liquid test kit-- the strips are generally inaccurate and don't include ammonia as you noticed. Ammonia and nitrite are the most important for you to monitor right now as the tank is cycling.

Well the new readings that I posted where done with a liquid test kit. I just got done changing my water again (did a 25% water change). The tank is a 10 gallon. So I should continue to change my water daily?

Back
Top Bottom