Two questions about big fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
1) How big can a regular goldfish get? I've read that they can reach near 2 feet! Is that true?

2) What are some of the biggest aquarium fish? I know a couple like:

Pacu- which is about 3 feet
Oscars - of course about a foot +
Plecos - 20+ inches.

Post some others and numbers if you please.

Yes goldfish do get fairly large. They are part of the koi family which you may see in some lakes or ponds that people feed them.

that giant catfish from india.. wallago attu.. a.k.a killer catfish.. a.k.a
it can get up to 8 feet in length and is very aggressive
or the giant arapaima of south america 6-7 feet long, one site said 18 feet, longest freshwater fish in the world

kukerdan said:
theres a fish called gigans, can reach 15 feet long in the wild

That would be the Arapaima....Arapaima gigas...which have been reliably recorded to 463cm in the wild, and often attain as much as 360cm in captivity.

I saw some Giant Gouranis at a LFS they are banned in Australia now but they had them from before the ban. Not huge compared to some fish.

Barramundi are kept in aquariums they can live in very fresh water ar salt-water. I have seen them in fresh water tanks up to 2". I have seen them caught in the wild (saltwater) up to 100lbs at 4 ft +.

Koi get huge. I visited a koi hatchery here on Long Island containing over 70,000 gallons of ponds and probably 100,000 koi. Some of his breeders are approaching 5ft in length. 8O

BrianNY said:
Koi get huge. I visited a koi hatchery here on Long Island containing over 70,000 gallons of ponds and probably 100,000 koi. Some of his breeders are approaching 5ft in length. 8O

We have an indoor public gardens here in Calgary that has several large koi ponds. The koi in them are all pushing 36"-40", and are as fat as your thigh. Funny thing is watching them nearly beach themselves going after any food in shallow areas....and they get plenty of food, as the park has the best scam in the world going...bubblegum-type machines full of food pellets...they get people to pay to feed their fish for them.

Yep. I'm thinking of getting a pair for an empty 10g tank I have. LOL

Back
Top Bottom