Two tanks got cloudy at the same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torkelgutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two tanks, which both suddenly got cloudy at the same time after a water change.

I've had both tanks for a couple of years, and my water changes didn't deviate from how I've always done them. They also use bio bag's from different sources, so I don't think that's the issue. Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia - all looks good.

I've tried doing 40% water changes of both tanks, and that makes it look better for a short while - but the cloudiness comes back. I was going to do start doing frequent changes for a while, but figured I'd check in here first.

Any idea what's happening, and how I can solve it?

Are you thinking cloudy like a bacterial bloom? That or something going on with tap water would be my first suspects.

Is it staying white and cloudy or clearing?

Probably not great advice from me as its dealing with sypmtoms rather than cause, but i got a small internal UV steriliser when i had cloudy water i couldnt clear no matter what. 24 hours of UV, completely cleared, let it run for another week, took it out, cloudy water didn't return. I think everything id done to try and clear it before resorting to UV are now being effective, but i had to get the water clear first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Inter...cphy=1006674&hvtargid=pla-430289794043&psc=1#

They do a smaller and larger version as well.

For info prior to UV, i changed some of my filter media to a more open media type (K1) and changed my water conditioner from API stresscoat as i heard the aloe vera in it can cause cloudyness.

Are you thinking cloudy like a bacterial bloom? That or something going on with tap water would be my first suspects.

Is it staying white and cloudy or clearing?

Well, I don't know what it is. I've never had this before so I don't really know what the different kinds of cloudy looks like.

I suspect it came from the tap water since it happened in both of my tanks at the same time, unless bacterial bloom can happen from environmental factors such as changes in lighting? Or can bacterial bloom come from the tap water?

When I do water changes it clears up a little for a while, but then it comes back. I've left it for up to two weeks without doing anything, which doesn't help.

I'm having this same problem with my tank. I have tried the UV, I just did a large water change, I clean my filter media and have tried Purigen and now some fiber fill stuff. My filter media is always filthy. The only thing that I'm thinking now is that I have 5 fairly large YoYo Loaches that are constantly digging around in the substrate. I can see that there are very fine particulates in the water and I have a planted tank so I don't vacuum the substrate often. I honestly don't think that I had a problem before I got the loaches and my tank has been up for at least 8 years.

It's frustrating.

I'm having this same problem with my tank. I have tried the UV, I just did a large water change, I clean my filter media and have tried Purigen and now some fiber fill stuff. My filter media is always filthy. The only thing that I'm thinking now is that I have 5 fairly large YoYo Loaches that are constantly digging around in the substrate. I can see that there are very fine particulates in the water and I have a planted tank so I don't vacuum the substrate often. I honestly don't think that I had a problem before I got the loaches and my tank has been up for at least 8 years.

It's frustrating.

Sorry to hear it.

No loaches in my tank, so my problem must be something else.

You know what I actually think it is, I'm cleaning my filter media too often with regular tap water. I have a well, but I have not been cleaning it with the water taken from my tank during a water change.

I think I'm causing a minor algae bloom by killing off much of my good bacteria.

“I suspect it came from the tap water since it happened in both of my tanks at the same time, unless bacterial bloom can happen from environmental factors such as changes in lighting? Or can bacterial bloom come from the tap water?

When I do water changes it clears up a little for a while, but then it comes back. I've left it for up to two weeks without doing anything, which doesn't help.”

Usually I find bacterial blooms (white and cloudy) burn themselves out after a while when tank settles down. For mine it’s usually the tank is not stable and a water change brings it in (eg muck stirred up or tap water sets it off). Algal blooms I’ve found tend to be a greener colour - I’m assuming not that. Doesn’t sound like micro-bubbles or something mechanical in tap water. I’m assuming not suspended muck.

UV filter worth a try if you have one. Seachem clarity a cheap option.

Do you have kh reading or know if ph is constant and hasn’t dropped? Is it hard or soft tap water. Just checking no change in tank chemistry or bacterial populations (didn’t sound it).

Last edited:
You know what I actually think it is, I'm cleaning my filter media too often with regular tap water. I have a well, but I have not been cleaning it with the water taken from my tank during a water change.

I think I'm causing a minor algae bloom by killing off much of my good bacteria.

That’s what I’ve found with new tanks. Kill off something or some trigger changes and bacterial bloom.

Here (and only here before I get shot at lol) I have cleaned established filters under tap, filled canister filter back up (untreated tap water - from memory pool testing gave several ppm chlorine in tap water so normally does need treatment) and started filter next day. No ammonia reading. I feel either plants/tank is covering any bacterial die-off plus bacterial populations get more bullet proof after 6 months. A working theory. Makes it easier for cleaning filter sponge as I can just spray with hose nozzle. I don’t let filter sponge dry out or leave in sun is only thing.

Back
Top Bottom