Type of sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
What type of sand should I put in my brackish tank? Are there ones that are better than others?

Thanks.

I use PFS in my "suposedly" brackish tank (i don't maintain strictly brackish conditions).

PFS is really great to work with in terms of convenience, but something I discovered by using it is that (white sand + dark poop = ugly tank). You really gotta keep on top of vacuuming the tank, and if you have really *anything* that is a bottom dweller, inevitably poop gets mixed in throughout the first half-inch or so of sand depth.

I have one tank in that situation right now and I hate it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a dark colored sand (like Tahitian Moon Sand), which is what I did in tank #3 and am much happier with the result.

I use pfs in in both my ten and 50 gal tanks.Had I known about it before starting the 29 it would be in there too.

Cheap,looks good,holds plants better then you would think and easy to clean....whats not to like?Much more natural looking then the gravel imo.

There is nothing "natural" looking about white sand in a freshwater tank. Not all PFS is white. If you can get some from here, http://www.redflint.com/filtration.htm ,you have an option for something different and more natural looking. The aquarium sand and PFS are the same grain size, so are the same product.

Back
Top Bottom