u.s gallon v u.k gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionheart

Aquarium Advice Activist
confusing for some
in the uk 4.5L = 1 GAL
IN U.S 3.7L = 1 GAL
so going on this basis a 55gal tank in uk would become a 66gal in u.s
just thought i would highlight this so when advice is given out
especially regarding meds and dosing
people need to take into account the u.s / uk gallon diffrence when giving advice where meds are a issue
either way people could not dose enough meds or overdose depending which side of the pond the advice is going to

am i correct in my asumptions this could be a issue or am i the only dumb numpty:)

Jason7894561230
yes it was very ignorant of me just to mention u.s and uk so oppologies
i am not familiar with australian measures but i am pretty sure this thread will discover the answer to australian and many more countries so everyone is made aware to make adjustments on measures when giving advice to users in another country to themselves

yes just googled this info

When calculating
Its important to note that US made tank volumes are US Gallons which are smaller than UK Gallons. Australia used to use UK Gallons prior to metrification.
When we sell our products in Australia its important to note that we are obligated by law to quote the volume in metric measurements. This is done so as to avoid the problem of consumer/customer comparison errors or deceptions

I have never ever seen an Australian measure in Gallons we do everything in Lirtes even Milk, Petrol and fish tanks.
Yes Aquariam it does soun about right i did learn a method to relate to Gallons on this site. All i do is study the measure ments of the tank and then convert so a 55 gallon tank in US is about 200 lirtes in Australian. Now in Australia that is a big tank, becuase we dont really get many 200 lirte tanks in Australia and when we do we tend to go over the top with stocking. Like i have a 7 or 10 gal tank dont know which but i got around 20 fish so uyeah

confusing for some
in the uk 4.5L = 1 GAL
IN U.S 3.7L = 1 GAL
so going on this basis a 55gal tank in uk would become a 66gal in u.s
just thought i would highlight this so when advice is given out
especially regarding meds and dosing
people need to take into account the u.s / uk gallon diffrence when giving advice where meds are a issue
either way people could not dose enough meds or overdose depending which side of the pond the advice is going to

am i correct in my asumptions this could be a issue or am i the only dumb numpty:)

While all that's true. In general for fish tanks, we use litres to describe volume, never UK gallons. If you see anyone mentioning gallons in regards to fish tanks, wether they be from the UK or USA, it will invariably be referring to US gallons.

In general, outside of fishness, I've never seen UK gallons referred to for years. Apart from the odd passing reference to, "ooh, petrol is now £5 per gallon" etc.

if you go to most lfs in uk every item they stock gives instructions for 3.7L 1 u.s gallon NOT 4.5 L 1 UK GAL
obviously the products which are uk made are in uk terms
but most are U.S products
so i can not quite get your point
we still have to convert the instructions
my point was not everyone actually realises there is a diffrence between a U.S GAL and UK GAL
so they dont add enough meds or dechol
hence there problems persist or it causes problems
depending on product there using

I don't think many paces outside the US make things in gallons anyway, gallons normally means US gallons even if the person using the term is from the UK.

I don't think many paces outside the US make things in gallons anyway, gallons normally means US gallons even if the person using the term is from the UK.

Yep. If a product is made in the UK, it will specify litres. Any mention of gallons will 99.9999% certain be US gallons.

i know my tank sizes in both us,uk gallons and litres and normally list in both. i also put (uk) after the G for gallons so its clear. like my little tank is 3G (uk). this also helps Aquarium and Fish Tank Volume Calculator
i steadfastedly refuse all attempts at metrification as i find feet, inches and especially pints make more sense.:p

The US system of measurement is dumb. I refuse to use it even though everything over here does. I use metric. Gotta love powers of 10.

Back
Top Bottom