UGF and Biowheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDWagner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have both an undergravel filter AND a biowheel HOB on my new 55 gal tank. I figure having both will be good for redundancy in case the UGF is inadequate by itself.

I've heard of people hooking up the intake of a biowheel to the riser on a UGF in order to assist with the water flow through the gravel. Is that a good idea or a bad one?

It could work, but wouldn't that biofilter the same water twice? The water coming up the uplift tube should already be filtered.

Opinion i heard is that the ugf is not good since it raises the nitrates. In fact i am going to most likely remove it when i change the bedding. jmo

I must say I agree, UGF's are a nitrate factory. I would ditch the UGF IMO. I'd get a cannister or a decent HOB instead.

I must say I agree, UGF's are a nitrate factory. I would ditch the UGF IMO. I'd get a cannister or a decent HOB instead.

Agreed. Ditch the UGF all together. They are nitrate factories because fish waste collects under the plates.

Back
Top Bottom