UGF or no UGF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLehman72

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've always used under gravel filters over the years but now I've begun to read some solid arguments against them. Any advice out there? I'm setting up a new 55 gallon freshwater community tank. probably going to use a Penguin 200 filter, natural colored gravel and intend on adding live plants as well.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom you can share...

Kevin

No UGF. They will cause you problems eventually.

I would have more than a Penguin 200 on a 55. What fish are you planning on?

Most people consider the AquaClear the best HOB filter out there. Whatever a filter claims it cna handle needs to be cut in half or to a third. On a 55 I would run an AquaClear 110. If you want to stick with the Biowheels do either an Emepror 400 or two Penguin 350s.

I saw those and was not impressed, new layout, same old not very much filter media (that is what really sets the ACs apart).

I just recently setup a partial UGF system in my 55g community tank. I also use my HOB filter w/ it. So far, so good! I have a link to the thread I made in my signature if you would like to read about it, (the Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build thread).

I agree w/ Fishguy, a Penguin 200 wouldn't be sufficient. I use the 550's and they are doing great!

you could use rversable powerheads and make a reverse undergravel filter...it will push water up thru the gravel and it will push the poop/food up into your power filter.. either way i would suggest powerheads over air pumps if you do use one.

I suggest sand instead of gravel. It is much more natural, cleaner, looks better, and a lot less maintenance/risk.

I suggest no ugf and to use sand.

Certain types of sands are risky, but this is due to people using sands not made aquariums. I only use and recommend Estes ultra reef. It is a silica based sand that has a polymer coating so it wont cause brown algae. It is extremely uniform in size so no dust, compaction, gas pockets, etc. I have used it for years with no problems at all. You couldn't pay me to use gravel now.

doogle said:
plants' rooting in the ugf could be a issue...

There are quite a few people on these boards that have suggested that UGF and plants are a bad idea, likely because of damage it may do to the roots.

stick to what you know, otherwise you could have problems with sand ruining your power filter's impellor, not to mention anaroebic gas pockets and cleaning issues(all the different sands).its what is best 4 you anyway, get informed if you are gonna switch to sand.....!!!!!!!

Sand is far superior to gravel. Aside from fish preferring it, it looks nicer and keeps the tank cleaner. And it's easier to clean. Makes for better aquascaping too.

There are no risks involved. You could fill a book with what ifs, but whats and this could happens - doesn't make it any more valuable than a paper weight. It involves learning something new and maybe making a mistake in the process - if that's a risk, then yes you should stick to what you know.

I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with switching to sand. The most common response is I wish I did this a long time ago.

Unfortunately I know of several instances where using sand ended in disaster. I'm not saying that you can't use sand, just avoid using fine sands like play or pool sand. They have a tendency to compact too much.

I've used coarser sands to good effect, and I agree that I like the look of it better. But don't use a UGF with them. The only time I've used a UGF is when it was operating in reverse. When it operates this way it PUSHES detritus out of the substrate for the filter to remove. But it's not good to use a UGF in reverse with sand, unless you LIKE sandstorms.

I also like to use corydoras or kuhlii loaches with sand since they keep it stirred up. Beginning fish keepers should be careful when using sand though.

I wouldn't ever use or recommend UGF or RUGF.

I never recommend any sand except the one I previously mentioned. I have used it for six years or so now and never had any of the problems usually associated with sand. No compaction, no gas pockets, no brown algae blooms, no problems at all.

Pool filter sand is a uniform silica sand and it doesn't have any of those problems either. I've used 3 different brands to date and they are all good.

I've also used a few of the caribsea supernaturals sands. I rank them sunset gold, TMS, and moonlight sand. Sunset gold is very soft and yet heavy enough to stay on the bottom. Minimal amounts are kicked up into the water. TMS is not as soft, and heavy enough that no sand if kicked up into the water column (life PFS). Moonlight sand is HORRIBLE - super soft and super fine. It's beautiful, but so ridiculously fine that bottom dwellers constantly kicked up sand into the water. It was a mess and constantly fouled the HOBs. Once I got rid of the bottom dwellers and switched to a canister, it wasn't so bad. Stay away from this one!

If you decide to use sand, use the sand that Fishguy2727 recommended. You won't go wrong with that. It is coarse enough that you should have no problems. And like he said, avoid using UGFs. There are much better (and safer) options for bio-filtration available.

Some people have had brown algae problems with PFS. Obviously not most, but if someone is trying to make the decision it is not as safe. It also doesn't have color options.

Back
Top Bottom