UGH another heater in trouble.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterp

Aquarium Advice Freak
:evil: I must have a curse on me or something. :evil:

Earlier this year (labour day) I lost a tank to a stuck cheap backup heater. Today I went to place some new plants(and the hagan CO2 toy :p ) in the tank and the water seemed warmish (reached 85). The *&^* supposedly good tronic heater glass is completely fogged over inside and the thing is ON even though it was set for 78.

2 heaters in 2 months. :( at least this time I was home and did not loose any fish.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with your heaters- that can be a nasty situation.

You did the right thing going with a more expensive, submersible heater- even though it sounds like the Tronic is defective. Cheap heaters WILL quickly go bad; usually taking a tank full of fish with them.

I really like Ebo Jager and the new Visi-therm Deluxe heaters. I've got an Ebo that's almost ten years old and I've bought four Visi-therms during the past year and am pleased with the results. :D

Thanks!
I went with 2 EBO's for the new big tank, and I think I will try a Visi-therm to replace the Tronic in the 33 gal.

Another excuse to head to the LFS.

I hope you are going to ask you lfs where you got the heaters to replace them,
2 heaters in 2 months.
any heater no matter what it is should last longer that a month. They should be taken back and replaced.

Yes that is my plan :D
One of the heaters was old, the other must have been factory defective.

With my luck the lfs won't be there anymore, I try to buy from the small shops when I can. And this one had a PetCetera and PetSmart open across the road from them recently.
I think these Pet* stores travel in herds.

I agree about the ebo jagers, I have yet to have one go bad... I had one that I got on my 11th birthday over 20 years ago, It is still working for all I know, I sold it about 7 years ago with one of my smaller tanks (20g). I am very comfortable with the workmanship on these heaters. I have heard good things about visi-therms too.

For a change of pace, I bought a WON Titanium digital heater for my 55 SW, It reads the temp digitally - but it's off a degree compared to my floating glass thermo. Also, I can't say how good it works yet, because with twin tube lighting and 3 powerheads, my water never drops below 79 degrees thus my heater has never had to turn on....... :)

Back
Top Bottom