Ugh!!! Can't get rid of this cloudy water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure if this is a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom. I had a 3 day mini-cycle because I removed too many fake plants too quickly. I thought the cloudiness was from the mini-cycle and was bacterial bloom at first (looked milky), but as it got cloudier it started taking on a green tint. I'm starting to think it was mostly just all the green plants reflecting in the water.

I did daily 50% pwc's and kept the light off for 4 days to help deal with the mini-cycle and the potential algae. Cloudiness got better over the days, but I think it was due to the pwc's and not so much clearing up on it's own.

It still seems to be getting worse, and I'm at my wits end with this thing.

- I always avoid chemicals if possible...but are clarifiers dangerous to fish, plants or the bio-filter?
- Any other random causes you can think of? I've wondered if it's something in the filter that could be causing it. I've got a Fluval 405 with the filter pads, bio-media and now carbon. I tried the water polishing pads but they did nothing.
- The Water has never been crystal clear. I had blamed the slight haze on the CC I was running...but that's been out of the filter for weeks now.

Since it's the first question I always ask people...water parameters are 0, 0 and 5-10. pH is 7.2. Thought I'd throw that out there before it was asked, lol.

maddybrat said:
It could be you fish??? what kind do you have?

Bolivian Ram, Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Danios, Otos, Amano Shrimp and RCS. It's a 48 gallon, about 80% stocked and I've got a Fluval 405 so there's plenty of filtration. What is your theory with the fish causing it?

I'm also diligent with weekly pwc's, light gravel vacuuming, filter maintenance and staying on top of my water parameters. Oddly, this seems to have all started when I began moving in real plants. I'm running duel T-5 HO 39 watt (1 Ultra Sun, 1 actinic). I've got java moss, vals, water sprite, Morimo Ball and a coupe others I can't remember. Maybe related?

eco23 said:
Bolivian Ram, Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Danios, Otos, Amano Shrimp and RCS. It's a 48 gallon, about 80% stocked and I've got a Fluval 405 so there's plenty of filtration. What is your theory with the fish causing it?

I had goldfish and they give off ammonia and make the tank look like how you described it. It made them sick and killed them. That was why I was asking about fish.

maddybrat said:
I had goldfish and they give off ammonia and make the tank look like how you described it. It made them sick and killed them. That was why I was asking about fish.

In most cases you'd be right. I thought it was from the mini-cycle, but that's been dealt with and the cloudiness is still getting worse.

Does anyone know about water clarifiers? Are they potentially bad news like other chems? I hate to use it and I'm not sure it'll help if the cloudiness is still getting worse.

maddybrat said:
Every other time I pwc my tank I will put in conditioner (fish kind, not hair) and add this slime stuff and that helps too.

I do as well...I use Prime.

By water clarifier I mean a flocculent to clear the water.

Sorry bout that I dunno how I missed it got bad eyes I guess lol, I've heard something about water sprites doing something weird like that could very well be wrong though, were they from an outside source? I had plants make cloudy water before it seems as if they can sometime get stressed almost like a fish and lose some slime coat and break down a bit causing a haze, it's just a guess of observation though, hopefully someone chimes in who knows exactly what is the problem, BTW ur fishless cycle thread was epic I feel like I'm talking to a hero of fish lifesaving lol, I read it just in time as a friend was setting up a 55 for her pirahana(just one) I've always used or saw used the fishfood and pellets or shrimp method for close to 17 or 18 years and I like the pure ammonia method so much I switched in 5 seconds , I like the scientific control of it better , keep up the good work buddy and hope you get ur tank fixed up

maddybrat said:
I would imagine that those would work fine as long as you follow the instructions of use

I'm just not sure if it'll affect the bio-filter like other meds and chems nave you used them with success?

dollabill420 said:
Sorry bout that I dunno how I missed it got bad eyes I guess lol, I've heard something about water sprites doing something weird like that could very well be wrong though, were they from an outside source? I had plants make cloudy water before it seems as if they can sometime get stressed almost like a fish and lose some slime coat and break down a bit causing a haze, it's just a guess of observation though, hopefully someone chimes in who knows exactly what is the problem, BTW ur fishless cycle thread was epic I feel like I'm talking to a hero of fish lifesaving lol, I read it just in time as a friend was setting up a 55 for her pirahana(just one) I've always used or saw used the fishfood and pellets or shrimp method for close to 17 or 18 years and I like the pure ammonia method so much I switched in 5 seconds , I like the scientific control of it better , keep up the good work buddy and hope you get ur tank fixed up

Thanks for the compliment :). If only I knew as much about clearing up cloudy water as I do about fishless cycling...I'd be in good shape, lol.

I have never used one no. But I am assuming it would work as long as you read the cautions and maybe google and see what other people think.

eco23 said:
Thanks for the compliment :). If only I knew as much about clearing up cloudy water as I do about fishless cycling...I'd be in good shape, lol.

Yes you would lol, ur like me against the meds and chems I'd advise keep water changing (you seem up on them and are dedicated) what's the chemical makeup of the clarifier anyway I've never had to use it knock on wood, did you try feeling all ur plants an old timer told me once if they ain't slimy they are breaking down or dying , I imagine there's exception to this rule like everything else

dollabill420 said:
Yes you would lol, ur like me against the meds and chems I'd advise keep water changing (you seem up on them and are dedicated) what's the chemical makeup of the clarifier anyway I've never had to use it knock on wood, did you try feeling all ur plants an old timer told me once if they ain't slimy they are breaking down or dying , I imagine there's exception to this rule like everything else

Haven't felt them, but they all seem healthy. Thing is, I only had the Morimo Ball, Vals and Java Moss before the cloudiness started. The Water Sprite and the others are new additions since the cloudiness began.

Oh, and they are all from the lfs and were sanitized with h2o2 before being added.

Back
Top Bottom