Ugh suggestions on how to cool a tank down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay, so I started trying to cool down my tank from that ich I thought I had, which apparently it isnt', so I'm fighting with my stupid heater (it's one of those ones you have no way of telling what the temp is, you just guess and check) and I get it to go down to 84 yesterday but now it's past 86 so I checked my other thermometer (cuz the other one is one of those strip things that only goes to 86) and my tank is about 90 degrees. Now I know this probably wont kill off my fish seeing as how people go up to 89 for ich treatment but I dont have any reason for it to be up that high, so does anyone have any suggestions as to cooling my tank down. I already shut the heater off.

Oddly enough, the other one I have doesn't heat the tank enough... but yes, I know I need to buy new heaters @___@

i would do a few small water changes over a couple of hours and slowly lower it that way. what is your house temp? if it gets hot again after the water changes then u should look into a new heater.

make ice out of dechlorinated water. Only put a little bit in, you don't want to cool it off to fast. I usually put 2-3 chunks in my 55 gallon every couple hours (i am on my second ich battle)

Water changes as suggested with dechlorinated water. A few changes over the next couple of days should work. You don't want to lower the temps more than a couple of degrees over 6 hours IMO.

Hara said:
set up a fan to blow across the surface of the tank

+1

I have to run my SW tank like this all summer long, 2 hours fan on, 1 hour off, to keep the temp from skyrocketing.

+2 on that.

I have to do something very close to my tanks in the summer. To the point that after July I turn the heaters off (Old heaters like mine kick in for some time if they lose power, again anther person who needs new heaters) But yea fans over the surface work. But if you have to remove your hood for this and some fish JUMP 8( I use a tetra-teriam (reptile cage) hood during the summer and suspend my light off the ceiling. I've found the open hood allows for more evaporation and lets heat escape and equalize to the room better. A hood like this is CHEAP so it might be a suggestion for people to think about.

I used to drop in an ice cube every now and then and do VERY frequent water changes. like 4 gallons every day with cooler water. (I still do the water changes in the summer because of evaporation.)

Back
Top Bottom