Uh Oh! MTS is setting in..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought a piece of sturdy furniture to hold up and display yet another tank!

Most everybody is doing fine. A rare aappearance by Sunlight has made a couple of the tanks do weird things (a green haze and a small rise in nitrates) I do 50% changes to keep it at bay).

Switched everyone around. With a new tank in the mix. So the more social group is together, the 2 botias, 8 ghost shrimp, a plakat betta and the little neon gourami are in a 10 gallon with a mix of real and fake plants. The fry are in the growout tank and the mystery fry are gone now to the shop now. (they were wee-baby knifefish). My 4 inch knife fish and some shrimp have the run of the 18 gallon. I want a couple guests in with him, but not dinner guests.Anna finally decide the whole setup and bought it. SO there will be new tanks to cycle next week.
I saw some croaking gourami and some neat wild bettas with peacock eyespots. ~sigh~ soon the house will look like a world under water!

Wild betta with peacock eyespots??? Where did you see those and how much were they?? Sounds a lot like the so-called Brunei Beauty, Betta macrostoma that I've been trying to find FOREVER!!! Last time I even heard about those being for sale they were $300.00 per fish!!

They are for sale at a small lfs in Olympia WA.
His customers are always bringing weird and neat things into his shop. He has a 4 ft Lungfish that has been there forever. It is priced at $75. He has snakeheads and many cichlids. Mostly freshwater displays.
He has croaking gourami, all manner of plakats and some other funny little wild types. He has pugnax and the wee cute ones. He had I'll ask later this week when he is open. He has like a half dozen. I wanted a couple anyway.
Heh! You know I don't even know the name of his store? It is just the little blue building with the fish guy.
He does orders too but mostly has a lot of vibrant healthy customer bred fish.
Anyway it was smaller and cuter than the pugnax in with them, has fishy gourami eyes and is a patterned brown with colored overcast and has a single neat spot on the end that is blue and black like a peacock "eye". He was trying to interest my daughter (the betta breeder)

I know nothing about those expensive fish I see at the LFSs. I've seen them cost hundreds of dollars! Amazing.

Anyway, the title of the thread caught my attention. I keep looking at bigger tanks. I saw a nice cube on sale this weekend. It would be big enough to keep oscars or gouramis or cichlids - all of which I'd love to have! But I can't even decide on what to put in my little 10 gal yet.

Christmasfish...

When you go to that lfs...please find out what kind of betta the one with the peacock eyespot is. If it turns out to be the one I mentioned above...please find out if that dealer would be willing to ship some to Texas. I'd be MORE than happy to pay any and all shipping costs if I can get ahold of some Betta macrostoma at a reasonable price! Oh...and unless he says something similar....don't mention that I've only seen them at about $300.00 per fish!! :D

Here's a link to help you tell me if it is indeed the betta I'm looking for:

http://www.wildbettas.com/Info/B_macrostoma.html

Oh....while I'm at it....it IS illegal to transport any species of Snakehead within the United States. In many states it is illegal to own them at all without a permit (Texas included).

Heh...watch out Platy! I have avoided fishkeeping for years and I can count at this moment 10 tanks of varying sizes. I can just think what people who loved fish all along will do!

heh, , this pposteed as a new threda-moved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "snakeheads" are there, but which scientific nominator of that common name? Who knows. I am barely keeping my fish wish list under control now.....! They look lizardy in the face except their eyes and they are definitely something that rises to gulp air. But I don't know if they are for sale per sic.
He used to have quite a few arowanas, ,but those are sold now, I didn't see them. He has a lot of neato creepy looking things, And a bbig blue shrimp.
I asked my kid (since she would have been the actual buyer) when she went to bed, she said their name sounded like Koothchi-coo. If that helps. Time to but some fish and Betta books!

Back
Top Bottom