Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Uh? What now?

So, this is my first stint with mollies. I have 3 and they are very small 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I'm assuming they must still be very young. My LFS recommend a tropical sinking pellet for them but it seems to me that they can't eat it. They suck it in then spit it out. They are small sized pellets. Is this due to the pellets being too big cuz they're young still? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crush the pellets and feed them that way. I find that the pellets are too much for them. They just cannot eat it until it softens. By that time it is on the bottom of the tank and some mollies will not eat from the substrate. I have several and have raised a few groups of fry. I feed mine freeze dried bloodworms, tropical flakes, dried shrimp and krill, Betta pellets, and plant wafers. Yes, my fish are spoiled. LOL The varied diet seems to keep them healthier. My fry get Hikari First Bites fry food. My mollies even eat the antacid tabs I feed to my invertebrates to help with shell formation. They really like the fruit flavored ones.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I was kind of at a loss on what to do next. I guess I'll be making another trip to the store for flake food and sine frozen foods...
Old 10-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crushing or soaking the pellets will work for now. No need to rush out, just pick some up next time you're there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com