Unable to identify the type of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

souvik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 6 of these type as in the photo dirt cheap, but am starting to think these are baby betta fish as they look quite like it, if it happens to be that, then I'm in trouble , I have 12 gallon tank with lots of livebearers along with those 6 tiny ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_171525_3.jpg
    IMG_20220622_171525_3.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 33
I bought 6 of these type as in the photo dirt cheap, but am starting to think these are baby betta fish as they look quite like it, if it happens to be that, then I'm in trouble , I have 12 gallon tank with lots of livebearers along with those 6 tiny ones.

That IS a betta. (y)
The good news is that should they all be females, since they are small now, by growing up together there is a good chance they will tolerate each other as long as there are plenty of places to hide. Should any of them be males,( you can tell by their fins elongating) you'll want to separate them from the other fish in either a Betta Barracks or Guppy net or another tank. Should more than one be males, you'll then have to make a decision on whether you want to keep that many. (y)

This is another one , there may be few males, having mixed feeling , I got beautiful baby bettas dirt cheap but on the other hand am pretty sure all 6 cant live together in my small tank with lots of other fishes.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20220623_000512_2.jpg
    MVIMG_20220623_000512_2.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 31
This is another one , there may be few males, having mixed feeling , I got beautiful baby bettas dirt cheap but on the other hand am pretty sure all 6 cant live together in my small tank with lots of other fishes.
To be honest, " lots of other fish" should not be in a 12 gallon tank in the first place. That's not a very large amount of water. Depending on what the other fish are, the bettas are probably most adaptable to the smaller volume of water as they naturally do not use much water and are not usually raised in larger aquariums but in 1/2 - 1 gallon bottles and smaller aquariums.
Overcrowding is a big problem in smaller tanks ( such as yours) so you might want to keep this in mind when making your decision. (y)

Back
Top Bottom