Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the ammonia I purchased from ace can I use this ? It does foam up when I shake it

Attachments

• image-3102371905.jpg
    image-3102371905.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 69
This is the ammonia I purchased from ace can I use this ? It does foam up when I shake it

We are taking about doing fishless cycle in the empty 29 right? The consensus is that the Ace stuff is fine, and if it has surfactants, it has so little that there is no harm.

You are not going to need much to hit 4ppm. Try 1 teaspoon (not tablespoon), wait 30 minutes and test. Adjust based upon that.

OasisKeeper said:
We are taking about doing fishless cycle in the empty 29 right? The consensus is that the Ace stuff is fine, and if it has surfactants, it has so little that there is no harm.

You are not going to need much to hit 4ppm. Try 1 teaspoon (not tablespoon), wait 30 minutes and test. Adjust based upon that.

Yes we are talking about the empty 29 gallon tank I will add 1 teaspoon to this tank now and check.

As for the ten gallon I can't use any of that media to seed my new tank cause the ten gallon is not cycled properly and the numbers are off ?

Yes we are talking about the empty 29 gallon tank I will add 1 teaspoon to this tank now and check.

As for the ten gallon I can't use any of that media to seed my new tank cause the ten gallon is not cycled properly and the numbers are off ?

Eh. I don't think I would. At least not until you see no ammonia or nitrites for a week. A handful or two of gravel from the 10 will give you some bacteria in the new tank and wouldn't disturb much.

Mikey214 said:
My new results after the 50% water change yesterday . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 80 ppm

Are the results improving ? Should I do another water change ? Any thoughts would help ! Thanks alot !

I smashed the bottle against the counter and my nitrates are now reading - 40 ppm
Should I still do a water change ? If so how much ?

Is it safe to go to PetSmart or a local fish store to obtain established media from one of there tanks to help seed my new 29 gallon tank that I am trying to cycle ?

You would have to be sure it's not from a diseased tank. And most often, chain stores will say no to that request. Have you already asked?

It seems like you're in a great rush to cycle these tanks. You might have to resign yourself to the fact that it could take another month or more.

LyndaB said:
You would have to be sure it's not from a diseased tank. And most often, chain stores will say no to that request. Have you already asked?

It seems like you're in a great rush to cycle these tanks. You might have to resign yourself to the fact that it could take another month or more.

Not in a rush just been reading up and see that seeded media is important and can help the tank cycle I was reading another forum where library girl suggested a site that sells sponges that are seeded , is this a good idea , thanks for the quick reply

Think purchasing one of these sponges is a good idea for seeded my 29 gallon tank ?

Tank results on day 1 after adding ammonia to 4.0 ppm and starting the fish less cycle . .
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia - cant tell either 2.0 or 4.0 ppm I think it's 2.0
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

What does this mean ?

Mikey214 said:
I just tested the water from my ten gallon tank . . . Results . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm

What do these results mean ?!?! :Thinking:

New results for my ten gallon after two days and two water changes . . . .
Ph - 7.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm

Thoughts comments ?

Mikey214 said:
Tank results on day 1 after adding ammonia to 4.0 ppm and starting the fish less cycle . .
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia - cant tell either 2.0 or 4.0 ppm I think it's 2.0
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

What does this mean ?

These results have to do with my 29 gallon tank that I am fish less cycling , I started the pure ammonia yesterday and dosed it to closest to 4.0 ppm as I can tell by the API test and these are my new results as of tonight . . . Any ideas thoughts or comments ?

Sounds like you can keep up what you are doing. Some live plants might help keep your nitrates in check. Good luck!

Hholly said:
Sounds like you can keep up what you are doing. Some live plants might help keep your nitrates in check. Good luck!

Thanks ! Any suggests on what plants to start off with ?!?!

Back
Top Bottom