Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I set up my 29 gallon freshwater tank on Wednesday 11/23 I have a heater, two bubble wands , and an aquaclear 50 gallon HOB, decorations and gravel. I have not done any water changes and did my first water test last night , my results . . .
Ph - 7.5
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 7.5 ppm
So my question is why is there nitrates in my unicycled tank ? Why does the results make me think my tank is cycled ? :thinking:
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated ! Thanks :thumbsup:

What method are you using to cycle?

Did you use any materials from an established tank?

What test kit are you using?

7.5 is a really funky reading for nitrate..... it's usually by 5's.

So I set up my 29 gallon freshwater tank on Wednesday 11/23 I have a heater, two bubble wands , and an aquaclear 50 gallon HOB, decorations and gravel. I have not done any water changes and did my first water test last night , my results . . .
Ph - 7.5
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 7.5 ppm
So my question is why is there nitrates in my unicycled tank ? Why does the results make me think my tank is cycled ? :thinking:
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated ! Thanks :thumbsup:

Have you added any live plants or anything from an established tank? My first thought is it's probably from your tap water; I'd test your tap water for nitrates.

Also what test kit are you using?

LyndaB said:
What method are you using to cycle?

Did you use any materials from an established tank?

What test kit are you using?

7.5 is a really funky reading for nitrate..... it's usually by 5's.

I'm using the API master test kit , and it was in between the 5 and 10 mark so I rounded it :thinking:
I didn't start my ammonia yet because I will be picking it up today if I can find it at the local hardware store !

librarygirl said:
Have you added any live plants or anything from an established tank? My first thought is it's probably from your tap water; I'd test your tap water for nitrates.

Also what test kit are you using?

I have not added anything from my established tank since I have this algae growing in it and do not want to transfer it to the new tank ! I have not added any live plants and I'm using the API master test kit ! I will have to check the tap water when I get home

Then the reading you're getting is from your faucet.

Don't round up the numbers. Go with what the card says. If it's darker than the 5 reading, go with 10. There's no fudging these numbers, especially when you're cycling a tank.

LyndaB said:
Then the reading you're getting is from your faucet.

Don't round up the numbers. Go with what the card says. If it's darker than the 5 reading, go with 10. There's no fudging these numbers, especially when you're cycling a tank.

I was not aware of that ! Thanks alot , im going to start the ammonia today , how long should it take to cycle with the pure ammonia ?

I always use seeded filter media. I'm usually upgrading from one tank to another so I just cram all the filter media from the existing tank into the new filter housing. Voila, instant cycle.

When I start a new tank and can't steal the seeded media, then I place new filter media into the same housing as the existing filter media and leave it there for a few weeks. Voila, instant cycle.

LyndaB said:
I always use seeded filter media. I'm usually upgrading from one tank to another so I just cram all the filter media from the existing tank into the new filter housing. Voila, instant cycle.

When I start a new tank and can't steal the seeded media, then I place new filter media into the same housing as the existing filter media and leave it there for a few weeks. Voila, instant cycle.

What can determine if I can use media from my old filter to help seed my new filter ? Can I test the water from the old ten gallon tank that my fish are in right now ? And if the results are good I can use the media from the old filter ?

Yea, I used my old filter cartridge and I also took 2 cups of gravel and 1 gallon of water and put them all into my new tank. It only took about 2 weeks to cycle.

What can determine if I can use media from my old filter to help seed my new filter ? Can I test the water from the old ten gallon tank that my fish are in right now ? And if the results are good I can use the media from the old filter ?

How long has this tank been set up? What are your readings on it?

LyndaB said:
How long has this tank been set up? What are your readings on it?

This tank has been set up for about two years , I have not done a water test on it myself with the API test kit , I usually bring it to the LFS , so I will do the test when I get home , I'm afraid what the readings will be because I was away for the weekend and my mom always over feeds them ! :thinking:

If you do regular tank maintenance on it, your readings should be golden. ;)

If she did overfeed, just fast them for a couple of days.

LyndaB said:
If you do regular tank maintenance on it, your readings should be golden. ;)

If she did overfeed, just fast them for a couple of days.

Regular tank maintenance as in water changes and cleanings ?

You could certainly move some media from the 10 gal to the 29 gal's filter to help seed it. I'd be hesitant to assume it's fully cycled and add fish right away though; the 29 is a larger tank and the bacteria in the 10 gal have adjusted to the smaller bioload. It might be safer to add ammonia anyway just to see what the numbers do. Also be careful how much you remove from the 10 gal since it's a small tank and removing too much can throw the smaller tank into a mini cycle so just test the water on the 10 gal for a few days to make sure nothing spikes.

Just a question: Are you upgrading from a 10 gal to the 29 or are you using the 29 as a second tank? I'm asking because if you're going to upgrade (move everything over to the 29 gal from the 10) you could just move the filter from the 10 gal onto the 29 and add the fish without having to fishless cycle first. Only if you're upgrading though. If you're keeping the 10 gal in addition just do what we said above. :)

librarygirl said:
You could certainly move some media from the 10 gal to the 29 gal's filter to help seed it. I'd be hesitant to assume it's fully cycled and add fish right away though; the 29 is a larger tank and the bacteria in the 10 gal have adjusted to the smaller bioload. It might be safer to add ammonia anyway just to see what the numbers do. Also be careful how much you remove from the 10 gal since it's a small tank and removing too much can throw the smaller tank into a mini cycle so just test the water on the 10 gal for a few days to make sure nothing spikes.

Just a question: Are you upgrading from a 10 gal to the 29 or are you using the 29 as a second tank? I'm asking because if you're going to upgrade (move everything over to the 29 gal from the 10) you could just move the filter from the 10 gal onto the 29 and add the fish without having to fishless cycle first. Only if you're upgrading though. If you're keeping the 10 gal in addition just do what we said above. :)

I'm actually going to upgrade and stop using the 10 gallon tank. . . In the ten gallon there is this darker green algae growing in certain areas of the gravel kinda looks like a slim. , I just don't want to transfer that to the 29 gallon tank :thinking: what should I do ?

Back
Top Bottom