Under feeding my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I see some people feed their fish everyday. I currently have 7 guppies 6 neon tetras 5 Silvertip tetra 1 golden gourami and 1 bn pleco.

I give them 2 cubes of frozen bloodworm every other day. Today is feeding day so I will give them 2 cubes later then not feed them till Saturday.

I feed my fish everyday, twice a day. I read conflicting guidelines some people say once a day... The amounts are confusing too. Some say what they can eat in 1 min, some say in 3. I would throw in good quality flakes on the days they dont get the worms maybe??

Daily is a pretty standard practice. You can do twice a day as long as you keep up on water changes and reduce the amount a little. Basically, listen to what your nitrates are telling you. More food will make fish grow faster to an extent but it doesn't help if they die due to high nitrates.

I go with daily but this conflicts a little with regular small amounts. However with a daily feed I find I can feed enough that smaller fish get a chance. Could be just my setup though.

I go with daily but this conflicts a little with regular small amounts. However with a daily feed I find I can feed enough that smaller fish get a chance. Could be just my setup though.

I do this as well. I have several fish that I have had from fry, some are a lot bigger and I have a couple of runts. The runts wouldn't eat if I didn't feed them a generous amount. Not over feed, but I don't do small amounts or they wouldn't get any.

I think it's better to be slightly under fed than to over feed. I feed daily, but the amounts are minimum. I add things like zucchini that everybody gets a chance at. My tiger barbs are too fast on the surface for basically everyone else in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it's better to be slightly under fed than to over feed. I feed daily, but the amounts are minimum. I add things like zucchini that everybody gets a chance at. My tiger barbs are too fast on the surface for basically everyone else in the tank.

Fresh zucchini? From the grocery store? Is this safe for all fish?

I see some people feed their fish everyday. I currently have 7 guppies 6 neon tetras 5 Silvertip tetra 1 golden gourami and 1 bn pleco. I give them 2 cubes of frozen bloodworm every other day. Today is feeding day so I will give them 2 cubes later then not feed them till Saturday.
Might want to think of diversifying the menu? That's a lot of bloodworms which can cause digestive issues in some fish, look into daphnia and maybe some omega one flake to get a little ruffage in there?

Fresh zucchini? From the grocery store? Is this safe for all fish?

Peeled and blanched. Then frozen. I also do cooked fresh frozen peas. No salt or seasonings added in the bag. Remove the outer skin on then our the can't eat them, lol

Peeled and blanched. Then frozen. I also do cooked fresh frozen peas. No salt or seasonings added in the bag. Remove the outer skin on then our the can't eat them, lol

Sounds brilliant! One for the fish, one for me....

Might want to think of diversifying the menu? That's a lot of bloodworms which can cause digestive issues in some fish, look into daphnia and maybe some omega one flake to get a little ruffage in there?

I used bloodworm for a few weeks the. Went to daphnia for a while. But what other frozen can I give them?

Keflan,
Other than your silver dollar many of them don't get so big so you don't need to feed that much,
all of my fish reach 6in + so I'm basically trying to grow them as fast as I can, but I have a de-nitrator in my tank where my fish reach 1+ plus and a algae scrubber in my smaller one, this was I can feed them as much as I want.

I used bloodworm for a few weeks the. Went to daphnia for a while. But what other frozen can I give them?
Brine shrimp, you should really supplement with some kind if flake too, I do a light flake feed in the morning and a light frozen feed at night, throw veggie wafers in twice a week for Pleco's but most of the others pick at it too.

I have been feeding 2 a day in small amounts. I keep an eye on the tank and they all seem to eat whatever falls to the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom