Undergravel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stoffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium in an old TV set. The tank itself is 29 gallons, and there's barely any room on top when you put it into the old TV frame, so I can't put a normal filter on. Because canister filters are so expensive, I think my only resort is to get an undergravel filter.

Do I have any other inexpensive options? What limitations does the undergravel filter create? I definitely want live plants, will that be possible?

If you want a planted tank, don't use an underground filter. The roots of the plants will likely reach into the filter and block it up, reducing efficiency or possibly blocking it completely. There are other reasons, but that one is the only one I can remember LOL

the other reason is that if it cloggs, you have to take the ENTIRE tank appart from the inside out to clean the UGF

Hey Stoffer - check out the underwater filters. I have a Penn Plax Shark in my 29 gal. It is rated for 20 gallons, but I have it there in conjunction with other filters. (That way I never change all my filter media at once, and I have extra cured filters to put on my Quarantine Tank) Maybe if you got a similar one that was rated for more gallons or two smaller ones, that would be enough filtration. Mine works great, and when I move it to the QT, my water isn't nearly as clear. Here's a link to the type of filter I'm talking about...

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shoppi...lters___supplies/products/product_35798.shtml

HTH! :D

I actually looked into an underwater filter such as a Hagen Fluval 3 Plus, and it looks like the best way to go. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom