Undergravel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradDP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
Am returning to "fishkeeping" after an 8 year hiatus, with 40+ years in the past. Am new here too.
Am planning on purchasing a 75 gallon aquarium which will mostly likely have 2 Tidal 55 filters.. 1 on each side.

What are you thoughts on also using an under gravel filter? I have not used 1 in many years. Was normal back then.... I just thought it would add additional water circulation.

Thanks and take care, Brad

Thanks for the information! I used to purchase most of my aquarium supplies via Big Al's (Bigalspets.com) and after 8 years still have $30 in rewards to use. They do Have Lee UG filters.. including many sizes. Once I get my 75 gallon they do sell Lee 70/90 gallon (48" x 18") Probably will also buy Eheim 400 air pump. Once I get my 2nd covid shot soon my wife "will let go" to local fish store so I can buy aquarium lol. Thanks again, Brad

I ran many saltwater tanks with undergravel filtration. Some of my salt water fish lasted years with this type of filtration. There is some care taking involved with it but simple and bottom line, it works.

Thanks. I am definitely going to purchase along with a Seachem Tidal 75.
I just need the aquarium now!

If it were me, I would use a canister filter on a $1000 dollar tank. Under Gravel was a yesterday system back in 2007. However, my friend swore by the UG filter. The great thing about aquariums is you can do whatever floats your boat. :fish1::dance:

I've got ugf,s in most of my tank's now, I love them! still haven't finnished making the one for the last tank .

I did have an Eheim (think it was 2217) cannister filter on the 75 I had in the past.
Was a great filter but was time consuming cleaning and changing the media.
Water was crystal clear and filter soooo quiet... occasionally it did leak some though so had to keep in a dish pan. However, not sure if I will be "Allowed" to purchase the $$$$ Planet Aquarium! :) But 75 Aqueon would be ok.

I had an undergravel filter for 25 plus years and it mostly worked great. But one time when I was gone for two days, the power went out, the filter quit working and the tank turned into an awful mess - like a swamp and stank to high heaven. For a tank that size I much prefer a sump (wet/dry filter) - very efficient and easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom