Undergravel filter trays/power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gui101do

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for opinions on undergravel trays and powerheads for a freshwater tank. I was highly suggested them at my lfs, so being a begineer I thought that they were a must.

The more I've learned, I've seen a lot of opinions that say they're at best a useless feature & have the potential to harbor a lot of filth and disease.

So please, any opinions or experience with undergravel trays and powerheads?

Screw the UG filter. Get a hang on back filter. The folks here like Aquaclear filters the best. Undergravel filters require routine maintenance, prevent you from planting rooting plants and also aren't as good as regular power filters. About 10 years ago, when I started keeping fish, undergravel filters were at the time slightly superior or at least on par with power filters. Now, pumps have gotten quieter and more efficient and UG filters are almost phased out.

i have a UG filter and it works brilliantly. the principle isnt vastly different to the hamberger mattenfilter which is becoming more popular here in europe. the rooted plant thing can be a bit of an issue but i wouldnt really say there was a whole lot of maintenance involved.

Well, I do have a hang-on power filter in addition to the UG. It's an Aquaclear 70 and I have a 55 gallon tank.

The lfs highly recommended the UG trays and powerheads to increase water circulation?

I would just get some power heads and skimp the UG trays. If you don't plan on planting any rooters then go ahead and go for it. Extra filtration will never hurt. I just think it's a pain having to do the semi-annual task of dismantling the plates for a rinse.

The more I've learned, I've seen a lot of opinions that say they're at best a useless feature & have the potential to harbor a lot of filth and disease.
this isnt true at all..... i dont run them nor want to but it has nothing to do with being usless harboring a lot of filth or diseases. where UGF would the best is when set up as a RUGF. normally water is sucked down the gravel and up though the tubes. well with a RUGF you pump water down the tubes and up though the gravel. this helps turn the whole substrate into a bio filter.

with plants it can be a pain but since not everyone has plants its not always a issue.

a little out dated and not used much today.... yes... worthless.... no

I just bought a Powerhead today and dont see any issues other than cleaning, which the insrtuctions says is every 4 weeks which isn't too bad. It is a marineland Penguin "power sponge filter" but its really a powerhead. Comes with a spongy filter to keep crap form getting sucked in as well. Mine is 170gph, which is my tank size 5 times in an hour(estimating). They have stronger ones by Marineland but they don't have the spongy filter thing. I had two people recommend me this item. I have a hang on filter.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: my Aquaclear 70 has adequate filtration for my 55 gallon tank. The undergravel trays and attached uptake tubes and powerheads don't filter anything, per se.

What the powerheads actually do is suck water up through the tubes and from the undergravel trays, then shoot the water back out from the powerhead. This increases water circulation, which creates a healthy environment?

At some point, the trays will need to be removed and cleaned? My tank is lightly to medium-planted, would it be best to just rip the trays out? Will the trays be ok if left in place?

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: my Aquaclear 70 has adequate filtration for my 55 gallon tank.

just the ac70 alone no. i would get another ac70/110 or a canister. with the ugf maybe.

What the powerheads actually do is suck water up through the tubes and from the undergravel trays, then shoot the water back out from the powerhead. This increases water circulation, which creates a healthy environment?
yes though if you switched it around it tends to be better. again not a fan of UGF but thats just me.

At some point, the trays will need to be removed and cleaned? My tank is lightly to medium-planted, would it be best to just rip the trays out? Will the trays be ok if left in place?
when its sucks the water though the substrate more waste builds up so at some point you will prob have to clean it. the other way around the pushing water up though the gravel less waste builds up.

Back
Top Bottom