Unexpected baby mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasidelover102

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I just literally finished cycling my first fish tank ever, it's a 5.5 gallon tank, and I added a starfire red glofish danio and a Dalmatian Molly. They were introduced well and got along with my guppies just fine. This was Saturday and Sunday. Then on Monday I noticed that the Molly was a little more sluggish and didn't eat as much. I just thought it was adjusting to a new food schedule( I only feed at night). It was a big fish but I didn't know how big they're supposed to be. Then last night I noticed a little black fish swimming around in the tank. I caught it and showed it to my dad. Then we found another and we knew someone had had babies. It had to be the Molly. Then on top of that there was fungus growth on her left fin that had grown to her left gill so that she was only able to breathe out of her right gill. I was up till one in the morning observing her and making sure she didn't die. I just got some medicine for that and I'm hoping she can recover. I removed the two babies and they are in a bowl for now cause they might not tolerate the medicine well. I'll keep it aerated but I don't know what to do once they get bigger. I'll read up on how to care for babies but I wasn't expecting this. Any help or suggestions based on experience is appreciated!

A 5.5 is too small for both glofish and mollies. Get a 20 gallon long and get the molly and glofish some friends. Get established filter media to quickly cycle the 20, then move the fry from the bowl to the 5.5 gallon. With fry, feed 4 times a day or more if possible, and do daily water changes in the fry tank.

Umm, I don't have the room or money for a twenty gallon. But I do have a ten gallon from when I was five and we had hermit crabs...

Umm, I don't have the room or money for a twenty gallon. But I do have a ten gallon from when I was five and we had hermit crabs...

A ten gallon limits your options. I would return the glofish, as they are active and need groups. maybe get the molly another friend or two. Just that is really tight for mollies, but doable.

Petsmart has a 20 long aquarium for $33. I bought one. That is there regular price not a sale price. Would that be doable? I would return the mollies and keep the glofish if a 10 gallon is all you have. Mollies can get up to 4 inches long and a 10 gallon is just not big enough for them when they are grown. If you keep the molly babies and return the adults you could keep them with the glofish in the 10 gallon. Then you could upgrade tanks in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom