After doing the research and asking questions here online, I decided against having Discus in my aquarium. I decided against it for the cost factor. I have no problem spending the money on a larger tank, supplies, etc. I did have a problem with spending $40 + (here in Atlanta) for a beautiful fish, that I could potentially either kill, or have die on me, despite my best efforts. And needing a good school of 5 or more, that's $200 + I didn't want to *flush down the toilet*. (pun intended, but I never flush dead fish.....they go in the trash, inside a zip lock bag).
So, on Saturday, during my "rounds" to all of the lfs
and super stores, I came across Blue Rams. I had researched them as well, as companions for Discus. Well, the local "super store" didn't have the Rams listed in their price book, so the guy was selling them for $1.99 a piece. Well, I couldn't pass that up, these little fishes were beautiful, and had tons of character, and as it was closing time and finding quality Rams is difficult here, I bought all 5 of them. They were just around an inch each, and I figured with 5, I had a pretty good chance of getting a pair.
Yeah I know....impulse buying is bad.
Well, I get them home, and go to QT them, and 'lo and behold, my heater in the Q tank is dead. So, I *had* to put them in my main tank as I don't have another backup heater (online order to follow soon). So, all goes well, and all 5 Rams are tickled to be in my 30 gal
tank. Well, now it is Tuesday, and this morning what did I found inside my "cave" jar? EGGS!!!!! Evidently, I have a pair, as both are guarding the eggs, fanning them, etc. Now, 2 of the remaining 3 have paired off, and I'm soon to have fry if all goes well.
So, these are my questions? Should I remove the parents and eggs, or just the eggs? I know 2 breeding pair in a 30 gal
is asking for trouble.
I'm taking down the Q tank to clean it and ready it for fry. Or should I move the other pair to that tank? It's a 29 gallon, and heavily planted as well. If these eggs don't hatch, should I move those parents to a new tank? I was thinking an Eclipse 12? Would that be large enough for the single breeding pair?
, current tank parameters are: temp 80 F, 0 ammonia, nitrite, 10 ppm
nitrate, pH 6.9-7.1, KH3, GH2.8, and other tank mates are 8 bloodfin tetras, 7 blue tetras, 2 corys, 1 oto, all 1.5 inches or less.
P.S., if the fry survive to adulthood, I'll have some Rams for sell in the Atlanta area.