Unexplained GBR death.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found my female German Blue Ram dead this morning. There were no signs of trauma, although her belly was slightly larger than usual. I bought her as a small baby just over a year ago, at the same time as my male. They never bread, but got along fine. (I did not have intentions of breeding them, I just wanted two that got along.)
I immediately tested water parameters and that is not the issue.
Yesterday I planted some new anachris, which stirred up some substrate and seemed to stress her out a bit, but she was fine last night.

I am saddened by "little ram's" death, and wonder if anyone may have any idea what might have happened?

Also, "big ram", my male, is just sitting in their little nook of the tank. He appears to be fine, but lonely. Will I need to get him another ram?

it might be bloat , they can get that from eating to much food or old moldy food
geting an other ram is a risk , a male is out yours will attack it a female might work if he likes her , I would get the biggest one I could and move everything around in the tank unless you have an other tank you could put the male in for a few days , you want him not to recognize his territory , so move or change rocks plants so it looks different

it might be bloat , they can get that from eating to much food or old moldy food
geting an other ram is a risk , a male is out yours will attack it a female might work if he likes her , I would get the biggest one I could and move everything around in the tank unless you have an other tank you could put the male in for a few days , you want him not to recognize his territory , so move or change rocks plants so it looks different

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom