unfertilized mystery snail eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
just found an egg clump in one of my tanks from my only mystery snail. i did several months (as in october or so) have a second mytery snail, though i doubt she's been holding eggs in that long.

i've heard that for some animals, unferilized eggs may produce 2 or 3 offspring, do these snail eggs have any potential of hatching? i wouldn't mind if they did

i've read about it on various threads, egg raising, but never payed much attention to it, as i had not intention of doing so, but should i keep the eggs where they are, above the water line, and just drip some water on them daily, or should i wrap them up in a damp paper towel? then again, they are unfertilized...

If they are above the water line you can keep them where they are - don't drip any water on them, the high humidity will keep them moist. If you want to remove them alot of people make a hatching container. Use a new tupperware type container with an inch or two of water, put a piece of styrofoam on it, cover the styrofoam with a small piece of paper towel that reaches over the sides and into the water and place the eggs on top of the paper towel. Keep the container in a warm place and losely cover to reduce evaporation (make sure it gets air).
Sperm can be held a long time - so they may be fertile. Give it a shot.

thanks joande, knew you'd come through. putting "mystery snail" on a thread title is like a speed trap for you

ROFL - yeah, you know me and my snails :) The eggs will turn a pink color in a day or two and then they'll start looking a bit gray (but still sort of rosy color). Just make sure they get air and leave them be. It will take anywhere from 10 - 30 days for the eggs to hatch. Keep me posted !

Back
Top Bottom