Unhappy about this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I think about it. If you believe in the fish-in cycle, than there is nothing wrong with the statement. however, what it should also say is: You only need to wait 24 hours to add fish, but then you need to change the water every day to keep the fish healthy while the tank cycles.

I would say: "If you MUST add fish after 24 hours, daily 50% water changes or more will be necessary, and stock lightly." But you have a point. The thing is, they don't say that.

I think we are on the same page now. Sadly, sometimes I think they are trying to make fishkeeping sound super easy to attract more buyers and convert the lazy people that don't want to do it properly. Plus instant gratification.

Yeah... after doing some more reading on that site, in other places it does say that if your ammonia or nitrites are above 0, then you have a water quality problem. But it never explains about the nitrogen cycle or instructs to do a PWC to fix the problem! Plus, it says you only have to do a 25% water change once a month, when it's really quite necessary to do it at least once a week (I do 50% once a week).

While we are on the subject, have you seen the sites that give you minimum tank sizes for fish that are completely wrong.

I've seen Oscar minimum tank recommendation as a 40 Gallon. Ugh...

Okay. I guess that counts as emergent. But your probably also going to do the appropriate water changes and aquarium upkeep as well. You're not going to change most of society on this one. These are the same people who buy kittens and puppies and then take them to the shelter because "I can't believe that my saint Bernard got this big. I live in an 500 sq foot apartment but he was sooooo cute as a puppy. Nobody told Me he would weigh 180 lbs and eat as much as a pony and pee on my floor." Its impulse buying and negligent behavior.

:nodnod: totally agree. And if you do make a choice and find out later it was wrong, you should do everything you can to make it right in a way that is humane and healthy for the fish, or whatever pet it is.

And 5x5, you're right about minimum tank sizes. At PetSmart, it's 20 gallons for a common pleco, that's way worse than 40 for an Oscar.

Of all the hobbies and things i've purchased, the fish business seems to have the most inconsistent, unreputable and unreliable information I've come across. Your initial post is just another example of what I've seen this i've starting learning about fish.

Wonder why that is.

Edited. I forgot to include all the "myths" too.

There's not very much money to be made if everyone has a happy, healthy aquarium.

Maybe not to their eyes, but to be honest, I think they could make more! If they recommended aquaclear and fluval filters, instead of cheaper ones with cartridges, there's more money there. They can make money on selling Prime instead of a cheap conditioner, NLS instead of TetraMin, and API test kits instead of strips. The higher quality setups actually do cost a bit more.

Eco23: Oi Vey, if there is any truth to that statement :-(. Although, haven't they already got that covered by recommending 3+ feedings a day?

I spent $1200 for my 65 Gallon tank before fish. Seems like the fish were the least of my expense :)

No fish to replace the ones that are dying, no medication sales, pH adjusters, buffers, cartridges to replace every month, ammonia absorbers, algicides, water clarifiers, etc...

No fish to replace the ones that are dying, no medication sales, pH adjusters, buffers, cartridges to replace every month, ammonia absorbers, algicides, water clarifiers, etc...

I guess people are more willing to spend their money a little at a time then all at once to do it right.

It will come Rosenweiss. This marine aquarium industry is going through a lot of growth right now. People haven't looked at fish as living creatures with "feelings". Look at the food industry... In a few years we have gone from KFC style chicken factories to "free range organic" chickens. It will take a Michael Vick sized moment but it will evolve eventually.

Are you sure? I want to believe you're right, so I guess we'll see. I'm happy this forum is on the internet to help newbies out. Without it, I'm sure all my fish would be dead.

Eco - I hope you didn't just come from a PetSmart sales meeting lol. I'd like to keep thinkiing of that as a conspiracy theory. I see your point though, that stuff adds up.

Maya - I think you are right. Fish are on the outskirts of even being considered pets. You don't see pet stores giving dog care information that will likely kill them.

Maya said:
It will come Rosenweiss. This marine aquarium industry is going through a lot of growth right now. People haven't looked at fish as living creatures with "feelings". Look at the food industry... In a few years we have gone from KFC style chicken factories to "free range organic" chickens. It will take a Michael Vick sized moment but it will evolve eventually.

People have kept domesticated dogs for around 15,000 years. You still see them bred in puppy mills, chained outside to polls, abandoned, beaten, starved, etc... Unfortunately, I don't believe we will ever see a world where fish are valued as they should be.

Sorry for the negativity :-(

5x5 said:
Eco - I hope you didn't just come from a PetSmart sales meeting lol. I'd like to keep thinkiing of that as a conspiracy theory. I see your point though, that stuff adds up.

Maya - I think you are right. Fish are on the outskirts of even being considered pets. You don't see pet stores giving dog care information that will likely kill them.

No Petsmart meetings, lol. I am director of sales for our company and understand how important recurring business is. Every company is in one form of sales or another...and without repeat customers, it's not a very successful business model.

Well said. One thing's for sure...When business found the fish industry, the fish didn't win :-(

Eco.. You take one step at a time. One person educated is one more person who never makes the same mistake again. I started by educating myself and then I found this forum where I see people being educated everyday. It isn't always noticeable but it is happening.

And I don't buy in to negativity. Lol

Back
Top Bottom