Unhappy about this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
I typed in "aquarium advice" into google and clicked on the third link, a place called: newaquariuminformation.com. Have a look at their "expert advice" on aquarium cycling:

"After your finished setting up the aquarium let it run for 24 hours before you add fish. This time is needed to equalize the water pressure, you will notice tiny bubbles floating to the surface, this is the water settling. If you place fish in immediately, your fish will die! There is no need to run a freshwater aquarium for longer than 24 hours before adding fish. As long as the temperature is stable and all of the aquarium equipment works properly, you are ready to add some aquarium fish."

Extra idiocy in bold.

LOL. Yeah, not my LFS, I have a really knowledgeable one luckily. But I see this ALL over the internet on apparently reputable sites, so it's no wonder newbies make mistakes.

Here's a translation: "Unlike saltwater fish, freshwater fish don't poop, so they won't suffocate from their own ammonia. Besides, they're cheap to replace anyway, so who cares if you go through a few before getting it right?"

oh no.... :nono: If the site has a way to contact the owner, perhaps you can send him/her a message with some links to articles on fishless cycling and why it's important. Who knows, they may change their information on their site. :oops:

I know. >_<; I know that some freshwater fish can stand high levels of ammonia or nitrite temporarily, but for them to say "there is no need," that's just wrong...

Stop clicking on them and their relevance will be exactly what it was before.... zero. I hate keyword spam tactics.

Stop clicking on them and their relevance will be exactly what it was before.... zero. I hate keyword spam tactics.

Yeah... but the problem is, this site appears to be legitimate, I would have followed its advice as a newbie. They have freshwater and saltwater sections and pages of advice on all sorts of things from choosing fish to hardware. That's why it's so dangerous.

It's sad, but I find that only a small percentage of fish owners have a clue of what is going on inside their tank. Most of my friends have had fish for years and have no idea about the nitrogen cycle or any other aspect of fish care, besides feeding.

I guess I can understand this, as most pets require relatively little work and when LFS and websites make it sound easier than it is, people don't inquire and learn.

Still a shame. Sadly, this website isn't alone. I'm pretty sure I've similar statements by chain pet stores

Yeah... crazy but when I was first setting up an aquarium, they told me to let it cycle for a week, and I think I only waited, like 4 days... knew nothing of the nitrogen cycle... luckily I was able to cycle after I learned with no deaths!

We don't always have the option of fishless cycling or even waiting 24 hours. I often put fish into a newly filled tank, out of necessity. I have yet to lose one. Sometimes I have a seasoned filter, other times I don't. It doesn't really matter, if the after care matches the situation. Regardless, if you are doing a fish in cycle, there is no reason to leave a tank more than 24 hours. So, the statement in bold above is not totally out of line, as it says you can add "some" fish.

Good Call BillD. I think your response is correct based on the statement. I think we are reading between the lines (possibly too much) and assuming the intent is that the owner "doesn't have to do a thing" and the fish will be fine.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Adding fish to an uncycled tank, except in an emergency (fish has outgrown current tank or is housed cruelly), is always wrong.

Also, I found a bit more idiocy on the site, look at this:

"There are two types of marine aquariums to chose from. Invertebrate/Coral or Fish. The two cannot be combined because many of the beautiful marine fish will eat your coral and invertebrates."

So, you can't have both coral and fish. ._.

Why wouldn't you have that option? I've never bought fish unless I have had a tank ready. And I have never bought a pet without researching its behaviors and needs. Just curious as to what situation would precipitate that?

Why wouldn't you have that option? I've never bought fish unless I have had a tank ready. And I have never bought a pet without researching its behaviors and needs. Just curious as to what situation would precipitate that?

Excellent point. I'd like to hear this answer.

Maya - For the most part I agree, but it could be due to someone elses lack of responsibility. For example, a friend tells you he is done with fishkeeping and going to toss his last fish, so you decide to take it, but it isn't compatible with your existing setup.

Under my definition, that constitutes an emergency. Whereas "often" and "it doesn't really matter" do not.

As ticked off as I get hearing the employees and websites tell people to "cycle" their tank for 24 hours, basically meaning let the filter run, I think it at least serves some good for newbies to hear the term.

If the word cycle gets into your head, at least you might type aquarium + cycle into google, and learn about the actual nitrogen cycle.

If they referred to it as something like "circulating" for 24 hours...the idea of true cycling may never enter anyone's mind and they'd just accept "new tank syndrome" as an unavoidable fact of life.

As ticked off as I get hearing the employees and websites tell people to "cycle" their tank for 24 hours, basically meaning let the filter run, I think it at least serves some good for newbies to hear the term.

If the word cycle gets into your head, at least you might type aquarium + cycle into google, and learn about the actual nitrogen cycle.

If they referred to it as something like "circulating" for 24 hours...the idea of true cycling may never enter anyone's mind and they'd just accept "new tank syndrome" as an unavoidable fact of life.

Ah, I see your point. Way to look on the bright side at least. =]

Back
Top Bottom