unidentifiable object in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitqui

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have 2 guppies and a snail in our tank. I have no idea what kind of snail it is, the pet store gave it to us for free. Now there is something slimy on the side of the tank just at the water line, and we are wondering if anyone knows what it is. It has little dots in the slime and it appears to be growing. I know it's not fish eggs because guppies have live babies, but could it be anything else? Or is it just dome kind of fungus or something? THanks.

good chance that you have snail eggs. That is what it sounds like to me.

Mooooseeeeeee

sometimes in other sitting water around my house dust might form a sticky stlimy layer on top and around the edges of the water i had the same problem with my reptile water

I'd say snail eggs, and if I was in your shoes I'd get rid of it pronto. You'll be overrun with baby snails in no time.

How many would they usually have at a time? And how old are they usually before they start repreoducing? My snail is still fairly young.

You could wake up one morning and see literally 50-100 wee snails crawling everywhere. The egg-layer does not need to be very big to lay eggs, and, as chasgood mentioned, there does not need to be two to "tango."

Back
Top Bottom