Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unknown Driftwood

Hi Guys, new to the site.

I found a piece of driftwood in my house that was used by my father in previous years. The piece is old, I'd say at least 14 years.
I decided to use it in my aquarium. I cut some pieces off to accommodate the area in which it will be placed. I found that the wood was red on the inside. My first thought was red cedar, but it has such an odd smell. It almost smells like potpourri. It has a rather sweet smell. I researched various woods that are generally found in aquariums and from what I can gather, Red Gum is also a wood used. Anyone have any idea how I can tell if this is red cedar or Red Gum?
It would have most likely been purchased from a pet store here that deals with rare and common reptiles (14 years ago)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it isn't yet in my aquarium. I have it soaking.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyDoom View Post
Hi Guys, new to the site.

I found a piece of driftwood in my house that was used by my father in previous years. The piece is old, I'd say at least 14 years.
I decided to use it in my aquarium. I cut some pieces off to accommodate the area in which it will be placed. I found that the wood was red on the inside. My first thought was red cedar, but it has such an odd smell. It almost smells like potpourri. It has a rather sweet smell. I researched various woods that are generally found in aquariums and from what I can gather, Red Gum is also a wood used. Anyone have any idea how I can tell if this is red cedar or Red Gum?
It would have most likely been purchased from a pet store here that deals with rare and common reptiles (14 years ago)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it isn't yet in my aquarium. I have it soaking.

Here is a photo of the piece I removed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	117061  

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i have a piece of red gum it does have a strange odour try boiling to remove tannins

Tags
drift, driftwood, unknown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com