Unknown Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys, new to the site.

I found a piece of driftwood in my house that was used by my father in previous years. The piece is old, I'd say at least 14 years.
I decided to use it in my aquarium. I cut some pieces off to accommodate the area in which it will be placed. I found that the wood was red on the inside. My first thought was red cedar, but it has such an odd smell. It almost smells like potpourri. It has a rather sweet smell. I researched various woods that are generally found in aquariums and from what I can gather, Red Gum is also a wood used. Anyone have any idea how I can tell if this is red cedar or Red Gum?
It would have most likely been purchased from a pet store here that deals with rare and common reptiles (14 years ago)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it isn't yet in my aquarium. I have it soaking.

Hi Guys, new to the site.

I found a piece of driftwood in my house that was used by my father in previous years. The piece is old, I'd say at least 14 years.
I decided to use it in my aquarium. I cut some pieces off to accommodate the area in which it will be placed. I found that the wood was red on the inside. My first thought was red cedar, but it has such an odd smell. It almost smells like potpourri. It has a rather sweet smell. I researched various woods that are generally found in aquariums and from what I can gather, Red Gum is also a wood used. Anyone have any idea how I can tell if this is red cedar or Red Gum?
It would have most likely been purchased from a pet store here that deals with rare and common reptiles (14 years ago)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it isn't yet in my aquarium. I have it soaking.

Here is a photo of the piece I removed:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 64
i have a piece of red gum it does have a strange odour try boiling to remove tannins

Back
Top Bottom