Unknown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother bought me these two fish about a month ago. He said they were labeled as diamond tetras, but I can't find any pics of diamond tetras that look like mine. They are housed with platies, an African clawed frog, two bala sharks, and an algae eater(have three and don't know what kind any of them are) I really want to know for sure what these little guys are!

image-3073143620.jpg

image-2590585983.jpg

My brother bought me these two fish about a month ago. He said they were labeled as diamond tetras, but I can't find any pics of diamond tetras that look like mine. They are housed with platies, an African clawed frog, two bala sharks, and an algae eater(have three and don't know what kind any of them are) I really want to know for sure what these little guys are!

3 spot gourami. I'm assuming blue gourami

I know nothing about them! Oh no! I just looked up pics of them, and that's what they are for sure! Do you think they will be ok with my other fish? Any special diet?

They eat pretty much anything. I hope you have a pretty big tank for that stock.

Right now they are in a 29 gallon. All but one platy are juveniles, the bala sharks are little still, the ACF is almost 3 years old... I have a 55 gallon cycling as we speak! It's been cycling for almost 3 weeks now, and is close to being ready.

Right now they are in a 29 gallon. All but one platy are juveniles, the bala sharks are little still, the ACF is almost 3 years old... I have a 55 gallon cycling as we speak! It's been cycling for almost 3 weeks now, and is close to being ready.

The balas need to be in a school of 6+. And they aren't going to fit in a 55... If you get a pic of the algae eaters ill ID.

The balas need to be in a school of 6+. And they aren't going to fit in a 55... If you get a pic of the algae eaters ill ID.
I agree. They are big fish, and need a lot of space also. They get aggressive with aging, and very territorial. Might even kill you're fish.

I agree. They are big fish, and need a lot of space also. They get aggressive with aging, and very territorial. Might even kill you're fish.

Ok, now I will have to find a new home for them. What size tank do you think they need? Will the guorami(sp?) be ok in a 55 gallon?

Ok, now I will have to find a new home for them. What size tank do you think they need? Will the guorami(sp?) be ok in a 55 gallon?
Not sure about gourami combinations, but 55 gallons is enough. As for the bala's, a single one needs 100 gallons. A group of 4 would be good in a 125 around.

It's not a good idea to keep more than one blue gourami in a tank while they are generally peaceful community fish they are highly intolerant of their own kind

Not sure about gourami combinations, but 55 gallons is enough. As for the bala's, a single one needs 100 gallons. A group of 4 would be good in a 125 around.

Oh wow! I had no idea that Balas needed that much room. We had one when I was a kid for 8-9 years. It jumped out one day during a water change and died. I really had no idea!

Oh wow! I had no idea that Balas needed that much room. We had one when I was a kid for 8-9 years. It jumped out one day during a water change and died. I really had no idea!
125 is really too small even. They should not be kept in home aquarium IMHO. At 14 inches and very active needing a school they need a tank bigger than most people have.

125 is really too small even. They should not be kept in home aquarium IMHO. At 14 inches and very active needing a school they need a tank bigger than most people have.

I'm not sure what I can do with them at this point. Maybe Bass Pro Shops can put them in the HUGE aquarium! I bet they would love that! :) I am not new to aquarium keeping, but never knew half the stuff I have read on this site. I have never tested water quality! Can you believe it?!?! I didn't know! I have never had a problem with sick or dying fish, except the occasional platy after birth. Several years ago, I was the idiot with four fancy goldfish in a 30 gallon aquarium. I am going to look into the gourami more, to see if they will be happy. I plan on keeping my platies in the 29 gallon aquarium. How many do you think is too many? I have, as of now, 8 platy fry that will be big enough to join their parents in a few weeks.

I'm not sure what I can do with them at this point. Maybe Bass Pro Shops can put them in the HUGE aquarium! I bet they would love that! :) I am not new to aquarium keeping, but never knew half the stuff I have read on this site. I have never tested water quality! Can you believe it?!?! I didn't know! I have never had a problem with sick or dying fish, except the occasional platy after birth. Several years ago, I was the idiot with four fancy goldfish in a 30 gallon aquarium. I am going to look into the gourami more, to see if they will be happy. I plan on keeping my platies in the 29 gallon aquarium. How many do you think is too many? I have, as of now, 8 platy fry that will be big enough to join their parents in a few weeks.
That would be cool! I never test my water almost lol I can usually just tell when its needed however I realized recently my guesses were off on my big tank so I will be testing more often....
The platies are dirty. Maybe 10 full grown platies.

That would be cool! I never test my water almost lol I can usually just tell when its needed however I realized recently my guesses were off on my big tank so I will be testing more often....
The platies are dirty. Maybe 10 full grown platies.

It's funny that you say they are dirty, because I have found them to be extremely clean fish(IMO) I only do a water change once every couple of months, but never have any problems. I suppose I am extremely lucky. I add ammo lock once w month, and add water as needed. I just got a test kit, and from what I can tell, everything was great! No ammonia whatsoever! I feed my fish flakes twice a day, and frozen bloodworms once a day. I hold the frozen block of bloodworms between two fingers in the water. The fish and frog all come eat right from my hands. I love it! My frog(her name is Boudreaux) loves to be pet, and "held" If I put my hand in the tank and cup it, she will swim over and set in my hand....sorry, I started rambling! Lol

It's funny that you say they are dirty, because I have found them to be extremely clean fish(IMO) I only do a water change once every couple of months, but never have any problems. I suppose I am extremely lucky. I add ammo lock once w month, and add water as needed. I just got a test kit, and from what I can tell, everything was great! No ammonia whatsoever! I feed my fish flakes twice a day, and frozen bloodworms once a day. I hold the frozen block of bloodworms between two fingers in the water. The fish and frog all come eat right from my hands. I love it! My frog(her name is Boudreaux) loves to be pet, and "held" If I put my hand in the tank and cup it, she will swim over and set in my hand....sorry, I started rambling! Lol
That's way too little pwc. At least once per two weeks. Water isn't just about toxins, its also about nutrients and essential matter in the water. Over a week or two time, those nutrients and minerals in the water are used.

That's way too little pwc. At least once per two weeks. Water isn't just about toxins, its also about nutrients and essential matter in the water. Over a week or two time, those nutrients and minerals in the water are used.

I finally realized that once I joined AA. I have been doing about 40% water changes weekly for a few weeks now. Like I said, I honestly didnt know. I love my fish. To me, they are part of the family. We always has aquariums growing up, and I just did what my parents would do. I guess it's plain ignorance. I am so grateful for all the advice I have got from AA! Now to figure out what to do with the Bala sharks...

I finally realized that once I joined AA. I have been doing about 40% water changes weekly for a few weeks now. Like I said, I honestly didnt know. I love my fish. To me, they are part of the family. We always has aquariums growing up, and I just did what my parents would do. I guess it's plain ignorance. I am so grateful for all the advice I have got from AA! Now to figure out what to do with the Bala sharks...
Post an add on craigslist or find an lfs. I'm sure that'll work:)

Back
Top Bottom