Unknown snails on the rampage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taff1835

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 weeks ago I introduced some live plants into one of my smaller tanks, they must of had snail eggs on them and now my tank is crawling with them. What's the best way to get rid of them
Or is there any fish that will think they're a nice meal.

You can try putting lettuce in a glass jar and leaving it in there overnight and the snails should swarm it which then you take it out.
And keep repeating until they are all gone.

Good idea, will definitely try that and let you know how I got on.
Cheers

Lmao it's one of my kids tanks the biggest shark in there comes in the form of a nice pretty guppy

Assassin snails are great. They work slowly but efficiently.
I would say try to pick out as many as you can manually, and then get an assassin snail or two.
A lot of loaches eat them, but most get rather large and need to be in groups and some can be aggressive to smaller fish like guppies.
There are some small loaches but they are pricey and hard to find.

You could try kuhli loaches or Botias but do not get clowns they get huge but otherwise mabe get assassin snails

Yea was going to say the pair of khulis I've got don't seem bothered but liking the sound of the assassin snail

If you only have 2 you really should get a few more, they like to be in groups of 6+

Just got a snail hopping it's an assassin words got lost in translation been as I live in Germany ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388740194.704737.jpg

Looks like an assassin to me! Here's a picture of mine on the move:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388740264.603562.jpg

**** there fast he's just moved about 20 inches in 2 mins

After all the other snails are gone what does the assassin snail eat (plants algae or both)

Not sure but soon as they have been eaten I'll take him back to the store it only cost me 1€. It's probably going to take a couple of weeks to clear my tank

This might get expensive the more I sit and watch the more I want a snail tank that's his third ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388743338.197755.jpg

Assassins are great, I got mine to remove mts, now I get more mts to feed the assassins, they will also eat veggie/algae wafers'

Good to know they're easy to keep, might have to get some more

I bought 10 for my massive pond snail invasion. Now I have a snail tank to breed pond snails just to feed them. They ate 25 ramshorns that I wanted in 3 days after I got them! Now I only have 1 left in my daughters' tank. They say that they only eat 1 snail every 2-3 days. They eat way more than that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom