Unlikely Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystalbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small black ghost knife fish, only a few inches long. I got him only a few weeks ago, he was the smallest in the tank at the store. I also have an african feather finned catfish, a bit longer than the knife fish but obviously a lot wider and thicker. he's only a little more length wise but he's quite a bit bigger than the knife fish. they're appropriately named "Dexter" and "KittyCatFish."

well, the people at the store told me that my catfish may have some territorial issues with the knife fish seeing has i've had him since he was only about an inch long and they're both bottom feeders. until about a week ago they never paid any attention to each other.

i had to empty my entire tank and move it so i could fix the stand not long ago, and when i finished it and put the fish back in the tank, dexter and kitty sort of just.. met. and if fish could "hit it off" they really did.

i can't figure it out, but it actually seems like they're friends now. the catfish always lived in one corner of the tank, never moved. and the knife fish always stayed in one cave, only occasionally venturing out. now they go back and forth between kitty's corner and dexter's cave.

do fish actually form bonds like that, or am i just making something normal into a cute story to tell? i'm genuinely curious!

Attachments

• IMG_7484.JPG
    IMG_7484.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6102.JPG
    IMG_6102.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 54
Stranger things have happened. It's possible that they've formed a bond. I've seen some pretty strange piscean pairings over the years.

One of my Betta had a bound with one of my molies which was very surprising for me.

Back
Top Bottom