Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unseal behaver (angelfish)

One of my koi angelfish has started behaving strange! As i was doing my routinely water change i noticed it was sheltering behind some driftwood. it set in the same spot while i cleaned the external filter and removed the water. As i started the refill the angelfish moved to the other side of the tank.
now its all alone if another fish goes near it seems to fend it off in a manner of go away or get hurt !!! any advice please ?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it being picked on? One of my angels does that I think to get away from the other two. How many are in your tank and how big? Is it eating fine?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcourts View Post
Is it being picked on? One of my angels does that I think to get away from the other two. How many are in your tank and how big? Is it eating fine?
Thanks for the quick reply ....

Apart from the other fish i only have two angels one black and the Kio. I have good selection in the tank with the only one the gets a bit boisterous is the red fin ruby shark but even the shark doesn't bother the angels .... the angel is about 3inc .... not sure what its eating like just yet ...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is the question... how many angels are in the tank and what size is the tank. Angels need room, they are semi-aggressive cichlids. I keep 10 in a 220 gallon. Keeping less than 6 angels unless in a big tank usually causes bully at one point or another. Even pairs bicker, and they actually test their own mates by lip locking to see if said mate is strong enough to be a good mate. If you keep over 6 angels in a big enough tank the aggression is much less as there are just too many to pick on just one. Another thing is how old are your angels? They start hitting breeding age from 8 months on. If they are beginning to pair up or look for a mate things can get alittle testy. But still you have to let us know how many angels and the tank size. Is it planted?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
That is the question... how many angels are in the tank and what size is the tank. Angels need room, they are semi-aggressive cichlids. I keep 10 in a 220 gallon. Keeping less than 6 angels unless in a big tank usually causes bully at one point or another. Even pairs bicker, and they actually test their own mates by lip locking to see if said mate is strong enough to be a good mate. If you keep over 6 angels in a big enough tank the aggression is much less as there are just too many to pick on just one. Another thing is how old are your angels? They start hitting breeding age from 8 months on. If they are beginning to pair up or look for a mate things can get alittle testy. But still you have to let us know how many angels and the tank size. Is it planted?
Its a 44 UKG tank, two angels of about 6 weeks old. theres no egressing or bullying between them at all.
Could the angel be having a bad day ??
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No, that is not normal behavior. Does he look okay? I mean do you see any signs of illness. Something is bothering it. Many times the first sign of illness is hiding. Not trying to alarm you I just want you to really watch it. At six weeks that has to be a very small angel. Is it eating normally? If you can't see any visual issues, small white spots like grains of salt on its body (even just one), no red sores or red streaking on body (mostly seen in fins), anything that doesn't appear normal, then you are just going to have to watch. Nothing in your tank has changed has it, like an addition of another fish? Water parameters fine (Ph, amnonia, nitrite, nitrate) ?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

That was very strange .... the angel's just bounced back to life!! what the problem was I've no idea but it just came from where its been since early this morning as if nothing was out off the ordinary .....
"Maybe fish do have off days" thanks for all the advice / help
Old 08-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I first put my angels in my 55 my black would bother my koi. It was really hard to tell. As soon as I put a third in the bullying stopped and they all get along fine. Angels are notorious for a certain parasite that you wont know that they have. I first started noticing white poo and I treated right away and now my koi is growing better good luck with your angels they are beautiful fish!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

water changes disorient angels a little bit. it also simulates there breeding season, so it could have been either one
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

This sounds like spawning behavior to me, but you say the angels are six weeks of age? This is a very tiny angel if so, and a bit early for spawning behavior.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

My fish get mad at me when I do water changes. I don't think it's unusual.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I do 10 gallons a day water change. I know that is small in a 220 but that seems to invigorate my angels. Although mine are adults with spawning pairs. Especially this one male who spawns with and has a harem of 4 females right now. I have 3 juvenilles that are getting close to maturity and am wondering how much the tank dynamics will change, especially if there are any males in that group. I am already seeing a bit more aggression at times.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do about 15% every other day in my 55 my angels like it too

Tags
angel, angelfish, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com