Unseal behaver (angelfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoVic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my koi angelfish has started behaving strange! As i was doing my routinely water change i noticed it was sheltering behind some driftwood. it set in the same spot while i cleaned the external filter and removed the water. As i started the refill the angelfish moved to the other side of the tank.
now its all alone if another fish goes near it seems to fend it off in a manner of go away or get hurt !!! any advice please ? :confused:

Is it being picked on? One of my angels does that I think to get away from the other two. How many are in your tank and how big? Is it eating fine?

Is it being picked on? One of my angels does that I think to get away from the other two. How many are in your tank and how big? Is it eating fine?

Thanks for the quick reply ....

Apart from the other fish i only have two angels one black and the Kio. I have good selection in the tank with the only one the gets a bit boisterous is the red fin ruby shark but even the shark doesn't bother the angels .... the angel is about 3inc .... not sure what its eating like just yet ...

That is the question... how many angels are in the tank and what size is the tank. Angels need room, they are semi-aggressive cichlids. I keep 10 in a 220 gallon. Keeping less than 6 angels unless in a big tank usually causes bully at one point or another. Even pairs bicker, and they actually test their own mates by lip locking to see if said mate is strong enough to be a good mate. If you keep over 6 angels in a big enough tank the aggression is much less as there are just too many to pick on just one. Another thing is how old are your angels? They start hitting breeding age from 8 months on. If they are beginning to pair up or look for a mate things can get alittle testy. But still you have to let us know how many angels and the tank size. Is it planted?

That is the question... how many angels are in the tank and what size is the tank. Angels need room, they are semi-aggressive cichlids. I keep 10 in a 220 gallon. Keeping less than 6 angels unless in a big tank usually causes bully at one point or another. Even pairs bicker, and they actually test their own mates by lip locking to see if said mate is strong enough to be a good mate. If you keep over 6 angels in a big enough tank the aggression is much less as there are just too many to pick on just one. Another thing is how old are your angels? They start hitting breeding age from 8 months on. If they are beginning to pair up or look for a mate things can get alittle testy. But still you have to let us know how many angels and the tank size. Is it planted?

Its a 44 UKG tank, two angels of about 6 weeks old. theres no egressing or bullying between them at all.
Could the angel be having a bad day ??

No, that is not normal behavior. Does he look okay? I mean do you see any signs of illness. Something is bothering it. Many times the first sign of illness is hiding. Not trying to alarm you I just want you to really watch it. At six weeks that has to be a very small angel. Is it eating normally? If you can't see any visual issues, small white spots like grains of salt on its body (even just one), no red sores or red streaking on body (mostly seen in fins), anything that doesn't appear normal, then you are just going to have to watch. Nothing in your tank has changed has it, like an addition of another fish? Water parameters fine (Ph, amnonia, nitrite, nitrate) ?

That was very strange .... the angel's just bounced back to life!! what the problem was I've no idea but it just came from where its been since early this morning as if nothing was out off the ordinary .....
"Maybe fish do have off days" thanks for all the advice / help (y)

When I first put my angels in my 55 my black would bother my koi. It was really hard to tell. As soon as I put a third in the bullying stopped and they all get along fine. Angels are notorious for a certain parasite that you wont know that they have. I first started noticing white poo and I treated right away and now my koi is growing better:) good luck with your angels they are beautiful fish!!!

water changes disorient angels a little bit. it also simulates there breeding season, so it could have been either one

This sounds like spawning behavior to me, but you say the angels are six weeks of age? This is a very tiny angel if so, and a bit early for spawning behavior.

My fish get mad at me when I do water changes. I don't think it's unusual.

I do 10 gallons a day water change. I know that is small in a 220 but that seems to invigorate my angels. Although mine are adults with spawning pairs. Especially this one male who spawns with and has a harem of 4 females right now. I have 3 juvenilles that are getting close to maturity and am wondering how much the tank dynamics will change, especially if there are any males in that group. I am already seeing a bit more aggression at times.

Back
Top Bottom